Wyndham Long Wharf Newport: Oceanfront Luxury Awaits (RI)
Wyndham Long Wharf Newport: My Oceanfront Odyssey – A Review (With More Chaos Than a Seagull at a Lobster Shack)
Alright, buckle up, buttercups. I just got back from Wyndham Long Wharf Newport, and let me tell you, it was a vacation. And by vacation, I mean a rollercoaster of scenic views, questionable decisions, and a whole lotta "um, is this what I paid for?" This review, as you'll soon see, isn't your average, cookie-cutter hotel critique. It's more like a journal entry after a week of sun, sea, and slightly-too-much-chardonnay.
SEO & Metadata, Because Apparently That's Important (Ugh):
- Keywords: Wyndham Long Wharf Newport, Newport RI hotels, oceanfront hotel, accessible hotel, spa Newport, swimming pool Newport, family-friendly Newport, luxury hotel Rhode Island, Newport restaurants, Long Wharf, accessible rooms, free wifi, on-site parking, spa services, water views
- Meta Description: Discover Wyndham Long Wharf Newport – Oceanfront luxury in Newport, RI! Read my unfiltered review on accessibility, amenities (pool, spa, dining), cleanliness, and overall experience. Find out if it's worth the splurge! (Spoiler: maybe?)
The Arrival – First Impressions and a Touch of Clumsiness
Okay, so the website photos of Wyndham Long Wharf Newport? They're gorgeous. The reality? Pretty darn close. Stepping out of the car, that salty air just smacks you in the face – a good thing. The architecture is classic, New England charming. But right away, I encountered a tiny, tiny, minor inconvenience: The accessibility seemed good, lots of ramps and elevators, which is a huge plus, though I did have to hold my breath in the elevator while trying to get into my room. The lobby buzzed with activity, but the staff were friendly and efficient. Checked right in.
Accessibility – Mostly Smooth Sailing, But…
Okay, here’s where I get serious. The accessibility situation at Wyndham is generally impressive. Lots of ramps, wide hallways, and elevators. The rooms themselves were well-designed for ease of movement. BUT… And there’s always a "but," isn't there? The ramp leading to the pool area had a slight incline that could be tricky for someone with mobility issues. A little more thought could be put into the entry, perhaps a steeper ramp?
Rooms – My Fortress of Coastal Comfort (With a Few Quirks)
The room! My little sanctuary. Honestly, the first glimpse of the ocean view? Pure, unadulterated bliss. Breathtaking. I'm talkin' "Instagram-worthy before I even unpacked my suitcase" level. Sigh. The oceanfront rooms are definitely worth the splurge, absolutely.
Available in All Rooms (Deep Dive):
- Air conditioning: Essential. Rhode Island summers are no joke. (And hey, it worked!)
- Alarm clock: Yup, it was there. Never used it because I was officially on vacation
- Bathrobes: Nice touch. My inner bougie was thrilled.
- Bathroom phone: Honestly? Pointless. Who calls a bathroom anymore?
- Bathtub: Yep, a good soak after a day of wandering the cobblestone streets.
- Blackout curtains: Lifesaver. Slept in like a teenager.
- Carpeting: Comfortable and clean.
- Closet: Plenty of space for my extensive (read: minimalist) travel wardrobe.
- Coffee/tea maker: Necessary for my caffeine addiction. Though the coffee wasn't amazing.
- Complimentary tea: Sweet.
- Daily housekeeping: Spotless. Seriously, the staff were on it.
- Desk: Productive writing spot after the first few glasses of wine.
- Extra long bed: Appreciated. Tall people, rejoice!
- Free bottled water: A godsend.
- Hair dryer: Did the job.
- High floor: Epic view!
- In-room safe box: Didn't use it, but nice to have the option.
- Internet access – LAN: (I'm old school with the cable)
- Internet access – wireless: Did I mention free Wi-Fi? Yep. It was strong.
- Ironing facilities: I never iron things, but they’re there if you’re fancy.
- Laptop workspace: Perfect for… um… watching Netflix.
- Linens: Clean, fresh, and comfy.
- Mini bar: Tempting, but I resisted (mostly).
- Mirror: So many chances to check on my tan lines.
- Non-smoking: Excellent. (And no smoky smells!)
- On-demand movies: Always a plus, especially with a view.
- Private bathroom: Ah, the privacy.
- Reading light: Yep.
- Refrigerator: Good for the cold drinks and snacks, though I mostly ate out.
- Safety/security feature: Made me feel safe and secure.
- Satellite/cable channels: Plenty to choose from.
- Scale: Shudders. Don't judge me.
- Seating area: Cozy.
- Separate shower/bathtub: Luxurious.
- Shower: Fine.
- Slippers: Fancy!
- Smoke detector: Safety first!
- Socket near the bed: Essential for charging phones.
- Sofa: Nice for lounging.
- Soundproofing: Pretty good, though I did hear my neighbor start a loud phone call in the morning.
- Telephone: Don’t use it, but whatever.
- Toiletries: Nice quality.
- Towels: Fluffy and plentiful.
- Umbrella: Rhode Island weather can be fickle.
- Visual alarm: Good for anyone needing it.
- Wake-up service: Yawn.
- Wi-Fi [free]: Again, glorious.
- Window that opens: Fresh air is always welcome.
A few minor things? My window’s lock didn't work too well (minor, but still).
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – Feast or Famine? (Mostly Feast)
Okay, here’s where things get interesting.
- Restaurants, Poolside Bar, Bars: Plenty of options. I mean, it's Newport! Food and booze are practically a requirement.
- Breakfast [buffet]: Decent, but not amazing. Standard hotel fare.
- Breakfast in room: Yep.
- A la carte in restaurant: Good choices here.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop: Always appreciated.
- Snack bar: Perfect for quick bites.
- Happy hour: Gotta have it! (Or two).
- Room service [24-hour]: Tempting, but I actually left the room
- Outdoor venue for special events: Didn't engage.
The "Foodie" Angle - A Rambling Anecdote:
The highlight for me? The Poolside Bar. Look, the service was not always stellar. But…Picture this: sitting there, sipping a perfectly chilled cocktail, the sun beating down, and the azure sea stretching before you. Just… chef's kiss. The food at the bar was surprisingly good, too. (Honestly, I can't remember what I ate, but I do remember the cocktails.) This is what a vacation is built on. Pure, unadulterated hedonism. I spent an entire afternoon there. It was glorious!
Relaxation and Rejuvenation – Spa, Sauna.. Oh My!
The spa was… a mixed bag. The massage therapists were excellent. The sauna and steam room were delightful. But the pool… I'll get to that.
- Pool with view, Swimming pool [outdoor]: Yes! And the view was the best part.
- Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage, Spa, Spa/sauna: Yep, the works.
- Fitness center, Gym/fitness: Looked fairly decent.
The swimming pool: The pool was stunning, but there were children the entire time. It was difficult at times to get some rest. The pool's view was extraordinary.
Cleanliness and Safety – Did I Survive? (Yes)
- Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Staff trained in safety protocol, Rooms sanitized between stays: They were definitely taking hygiene seriously, which I appreciated.
Getting Around – Easy Peasy (Mostly)
- Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Valet parking: Parking was surprisingly easy.
- Taxi service: Easy to get.
- Airport transfer: They did not offer this directly.
Services and Conveniences – The Little Things
- Concierge, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Elevator, Laundry service, Luggage storage: All the basics, and
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the chaos of a "vacation" (air quotes, because is anything ever truly restful?) at Wyndham Long Wharf in Newport, Rhode Island. This ain't your glossy brochure itinerary, this is the real deal, folks.
Day 1: Arrival and the "Oh My God, We're Here!" Moment
- 1:00 PM: Land in Providence. Oh, the joys of airport food! Grabbed a sad, overpriced sandwich. The air smells faintly of desperation and airplane fuel. Classic.
- 2:30 PM: The car rental debacle. I SWEAR, they said the "upgrade" was free. Lies, all lies! Ended up with a minivan (despite the explicit "NO MINIVANS" request), which, as a solo traveler, feels both ridiculously excessive and secretly appealing. Let's be honest, the extra space is kinda glorious.
- 3:30 PM: Driving along the coast to Newport. The scenery? Stunning. That salty air hits you like a gentle slap across the face. I swear, it immediately de-stresses you in a way that a spa day can only dream of.
- 4:30 PM: Check-in. Wyndham Long Wharf isn't the Ritz-Carlton, but hey, it faces the harbor and has a pool. Bonus points for the friendly staff who clearly have seen it all. My room, a lovely little suite, looks out onto the boats bobbing in the harbor. The view almost made me weep with joy…almost. (I'm not usually one for dramatic displays, but travel does strange things to you.)
- 5:30 PM: First impressions: The room is…functional. The bed looks comfy, but I’ll reserve judgment until I've actually slept on it. (Hotel beds are a gamble, people. A total gamble.) The view is insane. I could stare at those sailboats forever (and I probably will).
- 6:00 PM: Wandering. The whole place feels a bit like a charming, bustling tourist trap, but in a good way. Loads of shops and restaurants right there. The smell of the sea combined with the aroma of fried clam is intoxicating.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at a random seafood restaurant. I was ravenous. Ordered the lobster roll, because, when in Rhode Island. It was…okay. Not the life-changing experience I'd hoped for. The fries were soggy. The waitress was sweet, though.
- 8:30 PM: Stroll along the wharf, watching the sunset. This part was magical. Golden light, gentle breeze, the clinking of sailboat masts… I felt my shoulders finally relax.
- 9:30 PM: Back to the room. Attempt to unpack. Fail miserably. Decide to embrace the mess. Tomorrow is a new day. And hopefully, one with less soggy fries.
Day 2: Mansions and the "I'm Definitely Broke Now" Shopping Spree
- 9:00 AM: Woke up feeling, well, pretty good! Surprisingly comfortable bed. The power of a good view, I tell you.
- 9:30 AM: Coffee! Essential. Made a quick coffee in the kitchenette and it was great .
- 10:00 AM: The Newport Mansions. Oh. My. God. These places make Downton Abbey look like a modest cottage. I opted for The Breakers first. The opulence is breathtaking, and I literally gasped at the gold-plated everything. I’m pretty sure I walked around with my mouth agape for a good hour. The sheer impracticality of it all is hilarious and deeply fascinating. The sheer waste is appalling. Feeling conflicted.
- 12:30 PM: Quick lunch – a ridiculously overpriced (but delish) clam chowder – because, again, when in Rome (or Newport).
- 1:30 PM: More Mansions! Ventfort Hall. The tour was okay, but honestly, after The Breakers, I was already a bit mansioned-out, so had to skip for the day.
- 3:00 PM: Shopping. This is where the "I'm definitely broke now" part comes in. Newport has some amazing shops. Found a beautiful scarf I didn't need but HAD to have. My credit card is whimpering in the corner.
- 4:30 PM: Wandering along the Cliff Walk. Totally worth it. The views of the ocean and the backyards of the mansions are incredible. The "difficult path" was a bit intimidating, I almost fell! The trail itself is an interesting mix of paved paths and rocky terrain. Bring good shoes.
- 6:30 PM: Dinner. This time, a proper seafood experience! Went to a little place by the harbor with ridiculously fresh oysters. Bliss. Finally ate an entire serving of fries on my trip :P !
- 8:00 PM: Attempted to watch the sunset again. But as the sun started to set, I was suddenly exhausted and found myself back in my room, which was a mixed blessing. The sunset was incredible, even more beautiful than yesterday’s.
Day 3: Sailing and Sweet, Sweet Departure
- 9:00 AM: Pancakes at the kitchen. A bit burnt but worth it.
- 10:00 AM: Sailing! This was the highlight! Being out on the water, with the wind in my hair and the sun on my face, was pure joy. I'm not exactly a sailor, but I pretended. The captain was lovely, and regaled us with stories. I even got to steer the boat for a little while, which was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time.
- 12:30 PM: Lunch – a sandwich at a local cafe near the marina. Simple, but satisfying.
- 1:30 PM: More meandering along the harbor, soaking up the atmosphere. This time of year is nice, though, and it's not too crowded.
- 3:00 PM: Packing (aka shoving everything into my suitcase).
- 4:00 PM: Last look at the harbor from the balcony. A bittersweet moment. Part of me would love to stay, but another part can not wait to go home. Newport, you were amazing, and you also nearly broke me financially.
- 5:00 PM: Check-out. Farewell, Wyndham Long Wharf!
- 6:00 PM: Heading to the airport. Thinking about all that fresh air and sunshine, and the memories will certainly linger.
- 7:30 PM: The drive back to the airport. Feeling surprisingly wistful. Newport, you’ve got me. Also, I’m totally getting a lobster roll when I get home.
So there you have it, friends, a real, raw, and slightly chaotic account of my Newport adventure. Would I go back? Absolutely. Would I do anything differently? Maybe bring more money. And perhaps skip the soggy fries. But hey, that's what makes it an adventure, right? Until next time, Rhode Island!
Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Holiday Home in Nismes, Belgium!Okay, spill the tea. Is Wyndham Long Wharf REALLY as fancy schmancy as it looks online?
Alright, buckle up, because the truth is… it's complicated. Yeah, the pictures? Stunning. Ocean views to die for. Seriously, I spent a solid hour just staring at the waves, practically drooling. The lobby? Polished, gleaming, makes you feel like you should be wearing a monocle. BUT! (And there's always a "but," isn't there?) My first impression of the outside was… well, let's just say it wasn't quite the yacht-club-chic vibe I was anticipating. More like…an immaculate building, perfectly angled, but a little devoid of character. Then the lobby. It looked amazing, until I got a bit closer to the front desk. There was a slight smell of chlorine and a slightly stressed-looking woman named Karen was having a total meltdown about a reservation. My first thought? "Oh good, it's not ALL perfect." So, fancy? Yeah, mostly. But not without a touch of the real world creeping in. And you know what? I kinda liked that. It reminded me that this was still New England, where even luxury has a layer of salt and pragmatism clinging to it like seaweed.
The views! What’s the REAL deal with those oceanfront rooms? Worth the splurge?
Look, okay, you're in Newport. Oceanfront is *key*. Absolutely key. You're paying for it, might as well soak it up. The views? Seriously breathtaking. I'm talking, waking up to the sun glinting off the water, the sound of the waves, seagulls squawking like they're personally offended by your presence… it’s dreamy, pure escapism But here's the REAL secret sauce: get a room on a higher floor. Like, the higher, the better. Otherwise, you might be staring at some other building. I can't emphasize this enough. Book that room. Spend the extra money. Regret nothing. I had a room on the third floor (damn!), and every morning I regretted not splurging for the higher floor. It was a beautiful view, but if I had to do it again? Sky's the limit! Or rather, the higher floor you can get the better.
Let’s talk about the dreaded "timeshare" thing. How pushy are they, really?
Ugh, the timeshare pitch. It's the shadow lurking behind every beautiful resort. It's like finding out your fairytale prince has a gambling problem. They offer you a 'free' breakfast or some cheap tickets for a whole day of trying to sell you something. Honestly? They're persistent. I had a lovely lady named Bethany (bless her heart), who was really sweet but also relentless. She was super nice, but she also did not take no for an answer. I sat through the spiel, listened politely, pretended to be interested... you know the drill. Then, when I FINALLY said no (after like, an hour and a half!), she got this *look*. You know the one. The "you're wasting my time" look. But hey, at least I got a slightly-above-average (but free) breakfast out of it. And, a valuable lesson in the importance of a very firm "no." And, look, if you're truly considering, get it out of the way early or you'll be dreading every interaction.
Is the location truly convenient? What's nearby?
Location, location, location, right? Wyndham Long Wharf is *pretty* good. You're right on the marina – which is a big win if you're into boats (I'm not, but hey, pretty watercraft are nice). You can walk to all the main attractions, which is a godsend (parking in Newport is a NIGHTMARE). The shops and restaurants are *right* there. And the Cliff Walk? Easily accessible for a lovely stroll! But, and there is always a “but,” it's not *ideal*. If you want real "Newport" charm, you have to walk a bit. You're not *in* the historic district, truly, but it's close enough. You’re a bit more on the “touristy” side. So, convenient? Yes. Perfectly authentic? Not quite. But hey, you trade off the "perfect authenticity" for the walkability and the easy access to all the stuff to do.
What about the amenities? Pool, fitness center, etc.? Are they up to snuff?
Okay, let's get into the nitty-gritty. The pool? Small. But nice. Outdoor, heated (thank GOD, because Rhode Island weather is fickle). The fitness center? I'm not a gym rat, but it had treadmills and some weights. Pretty standard. Nothing to write home about, but it worked. The whole resort felt a bit…well…like a good mid-range hotel in the best possible way. It wasn't dripping in luxury, but it was clean, well-maintained, and functional. My real pet peeve? The elevators! Slow. Incredibly slow. Prepare to wait. And prepare to sweat a little if you're on a higher floor and are impatient like me.
Food! Any recommendations on where – and where NOT - to eat nearby?
Okay, listen up, because I have strong opinions about food. First off: the hotel's breakfast. Fine. Convenient. But nothing special. Try to eat elsewhere. There are some great places to eat. If you're feeling fancy, get a table at The Mooring – the food is good, the outdoor seating is even better. For lunch, try Diego’s. The tacos are great, and it's a fun, lively spot. DEFINITELY make a reservation. Newport gets busy! And please, for the love of all that is holy, avoid places that look *overly* touristy. You know the ones – giant menus, aggressively cheerful servers, overpriced everything. Trust me, you'll pay for it and be disappointed. Wander a bit, find some local spots. Ask the locals. They'll point you in the right direction. Also, grab a coffee at Coffee Grinders (the original, not the newer ones, they're not as good).
The Rooms: Are they comfy? What should I expect?
The rooms… they’re decent. Not exactly palatial suites, but clean, comfortable, and well-appointed. If you're used to staying in the Four Seasons, you might be disappointed. If you’re used to, like, a Motel 6? You’ll be thrilled. The beds were comfy enough – I slept well, except for that one night when the seagulls decided to have a rave outside my window at 4 a.m. (Earplugs are your friend!). The bathrooms were clean. The decor was pretty standard hotel fare – not particularly memorable, but not offensive either. My biggest gripe? The storage space was a bit limited. If you're traveling with a lot of luggage (and who isn't, these days?), it can be a squeeze. But hey, you're in Newport! You shouldn't be spending all day in your room anyway, right? And the important things? The views, the location, were still there, adding valueStay Mapped