Beaufort Palace: HUGE 10-Person Apartment in the French Alps!
Beaufort Palace: A French Alpine Dream… or Maybe Just a Really Big Apartment? (A Review with Opinions)
Alright, buckle up folks, because I just spent a week at the Beaufort Palace in the French Alps, a place that’s less a hotel and more a massive apartment designed to house ten people. And let me tell you, experiencing it was… well, it was an experience. Think of it as a giant, luxurious petri dish of potential fun (and potential chaos). Here's the messy, honest, and opinionated truth about this place.
Accessibility & Safety: Trying to Dodge the Stairs (and COVID)
Okay, first things first: navigating this place is a workout. The "Facilities for Disabled Guests" are listed, but let me just say, depending on your definition, this place might not be a complete slam dunk. There's an elevator (thank GOODNESS!), but the sheer size of the apartment means you can still end up hiking up a few steps here and there. So, consider that.
On the upside, they really seemed serious about cleanliness, which is a huge plus, especially in these times. They've got "Anti-viral cleaning products," "Daily disinfection in common areas," and the whole shebang. They even had "Hand sanitizer" stations everywhere. I mean, I actually saw someone cleaning a light switch – a light switch! So, points for taking things seriously. They also offer Room sanitization opt-out, if you're feeling trusting.
I appreciated the clear "Safety/security feature" signage and the fact that the "Staff [are] trained in safety protocol.” Plus, there was CCTV everywhere. I'm not sure if it makes me feel safer or like I'm in a spy movie, but hey, at least they're trying! They even had the "Hot water linen and laundry washing" thing down. You know, the important stuff.
Eating, Drinking, and Generally Stuffing My Face (The Good, the Bad, and the Croissant-Shaped)
Alright, let's talk about food. Because that's basically 75% of my vacation experience.
- Breakfast: Forget "Breakfast in room." This is a giant apartment, so it's more like "Breakfast in the entire building." They have a "Breakfast [buffet]" and a "Breakfast takeaway service." (genius!) I opted for the buffet, which was… decent. Classic French pastries were on offer. I probably ate enough croissants to build a small Eiffel Tower. There were also "Asian breakfast" options, though I'm not sure why you'd crave pho in the Alps, but hey, options are king!
- Restaurants: I didn't eat at the "Restaurants" on-site. I think a restaurant that can accommodate 10 people is missing from the list.
- Other Treats: "Coffee/tea in restaurant" was nice to have on hand, and the "Snack bar" served as a reliable source of carb-fueled energy. We also snagged a few things from the "Convenience store" for late-night snacking. And the "Bottle of water" was a welcome addition to every room.
Wellness and Relaxation: Paradise Found (and Quickly Abandoned)
This is where the Beaufort Palace really shines. Or, at least, where it attempts to.
- The Spa: Oh, the spa! They boast a "Spa," a "Sauna," a "Steamroom," and even a "Foot bath." I went in with high expectations.
- Pool with a View: The "Swimming pool [outdoor]" was stunning, with the mountains as a backdrop. The view was indeed amazing.
- Fitness Center, Gym/fitness: I tried to hit the "Fitness center". I lasted 10 minutes, max. Apparently, I'm a mountain-view-seeking relaxing machine, not a mountain-view-pumping-iron type.
The Apartment Itself: Spacious… and Sometimes Overwhelming
Now, let's get to the heart of the matter: the massive apartment, the literal reason you're staying here.
- The Good: "Air conditioning in public area", "Air conditioning", "Bathroom phone", "Bathtub", "Blackout curtains", "Coffee/tea maker", "Free bottled water", "Hair dryer", "Internet access – LAN", "Ironing facilities", "Laptop workspace", "Mini bar", "Non-smoking", "Refrigerator", "Satellite/cable channels", "Seating area", "Separate shower/bathtub", "Shower", "Slippers", "Smoke detector", "Socket near the bed", "Sofa" and "Wake-up service."
- The Quirks: I’ll confess, I spent the first hour just trying to find my bedroom. Seriously, this place is huge. And once you find the bed… the "Extra long bed" was actually great! But everything felt a little… clinical? Like a showroom rather than a home.
Services and Conveniences: A Mixed Bag
- The Helpers: They had "Daily housekeeping," which was great, and a "Concierge." The concierge was mostly helpful, though sometimes it felt like they were as overwhelmed by the size of the place as I was.
- The Extras: "Car park [free of charge]" was great if you had a car. "Elevator" saved my legs. "Laundry service" and "Dry cleaning" came in handy after I spilled red wine.
- The "Meh": I didn't use the "Audio-visual equipment for special events," the "Business facilities," or the "Cash withdrawal." But hey, it's good they're there!
For the Kids (or Wannabe Kids):
"Family/child friendly" is an understatement. They had a "Babysitting service," "Kids meal,". The kids' facilities seemed great, although I have no kids.
Overall Impression
The Beaufort Palace is a bit of an enigma. It’s undeniably impressive in its scale and offers some fantastic features (the spa and pool are legit highlights). The safety measures and cleanliness are top-notch. But the sheer size can make it feel impersonal, and the luxury can border on the clinical.
Would I recommend it? If you’re a group of ten, willing to embrace the grand scale of it all, and looking for a luxurious base camp in the French Alps, then absolutely. If you're looking for cozy and intimate, probably not so much. It's a place to experience, not just to stay. But honestly, the croissants alone might be worth the trip. (Just don't tell my waistline I said that).
Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Garden Flat Awaits in Klütz, Germany!Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's "meticulously planned itinerary." This is a chaotic, potentially disastrous, and utterly glorious attempt to wrangle ten humans into a charming French apartment in Beaufort, Rhone-Alpes. Prepare for the ride!
The Grand Beaufort Bonanza: Ten Souls, One Apartment, Zero Sanity (Probably)
Day 1: Arrival – Sacré Bleu, We're Here! (Or Are We Lost Again?)
- Morning (Okay, more like late morning): Land at Geneva Airport. The plan? Easy peasy rental cars. The reality? Three hours of arguing over insurance, GPS arguing with itself, and a near-death experience navigating a roundabout. (Seriously, Switzerland, what's with the roundabouts?!) My Aunt Mildred, bless her heart, almost drove into a field of cows. "They looked so peaceful," she muttered, completely unfazed.
- Lunch: Finally, we stumble upon a little boulangerie. Baguettes, croissants (the real deal!), and enough cheese to feed a small army. The cheese is AMAZING. I have a minor crisis deciding between Comté and Beaufort. Comté wins. But I will get Beaufort.
- Afternoon: The drive to the apartment. Ooooh, the scenery! Majestic mountains, postcard-perfect villages… and then… the torrential rain. We're soaked. Everything's a little damp. Spirits, not so much. Especially when the GPS, still traumatized from the roundabout debacle, takes us on a "scenic route" that's basically a goat trail. This is when Uncle Jerry starts his annual "I TOLD YOU" rant about trusting online maps.
- Evening: Arriving in Beaufort! Finding the apartment… well, that involved a lot of frantic phone calls, waving arms, and the discovery that the key code was wrong. Finally inside! It's… charming. Rustic. Slightly wonky. The "double bed" is, in reality, two twin beds pushed together with a suspicious gap. A few minor meltdowns are had, but hey, we're in France! Opening the wine (thank God for the wine). Pizza. And, finally, exhaustion takes hold.
The apartment is fine. Smells like old wood and slightly musty wool, which means it is an apartment.
Day 2: Cheese, Chèvre, and… Climbing? (Maybe Not)
- Morning (Maybe): The breakfast situation is utter chaos. Everyone wants coffee. No one knows where the coffee filters are. Aunt Sally, a self-proclaimed culinary genius, attempts to make eggs. The result? Something resembling scrambled rubber. I go rogue, grab a croissant, and wander outside to admire the view. It’s stunning. I could stay here forever. (But I won’t. There’s cheese to be eaten.)
- Late Morning: Cheese, Cheese, and More Cheese: The raison d'être of this trip. We're going to a fromagerie! I'm practically vibrating with excitement. The smell… oh, the smell. It's a symphony of dairy delight. Beaufort, of course, is the star of the show. I'm convinced it's the single best food on the planet. We try everything. We buy everything. We learn about the process… which is surprisingly complicated and involves a lot of smelly cheese. I die happy.
- Afternoon: The "adventure" portion of the itinerary. The guide book slightly oversold the "easy hiking trail." It's a climb. A steep climb. My legs are screaming. Uncle Jerry’s knees are screaming louder. I have to carry my own bottle of water, this is a bit of a bummer. The views are breathtaking, but I’m too busy gasping for air to appreciate it fully. We make it… eventually.
- Evening: Dinner at a local restaurant. The menu is completely in French (obviously). My attempts to order are met with sympathetic smiles and fluent French from the waiter. I resort to pointing at things. We finally decide on fondue (it must be done). It's cheesy. It's gooey. It's perfect. Wine. Laughter. We’re finally starting to feel like a team.
Day 3: Market Mayhem and a Lake-Side Lament
- Morning: The local market! Colors, smells, a cacophony of French chatter. This is where I truly lose it. Tomatoes so red they look artificial. Cheeses of every shape and size. I buy far too much. (See a pattern here?) Aunt Susan haggles like a pro, securing a bargain on some ridiculously patterned scarves. I'm jealous of her skills.
- Mid-day: The lake. The plan was kayaking. The reality? Wind. Waves. Mild panic. We opt for a stroll around the shore. The sun is out and it is beautiful. We find a quiet spot and I contemplate staying here forever, too. But the cheese, the cheese calls.
- Afternoon: Shopping. We venture into a local shop to find some of the local chocolates and pastries. I try everything and am in heaven. My waistline hates me.
- Evening: The annual family game night. It involves a lot of yelling, cheating (allegedly by Uncle Jerry), and a lot more wine. The game ends in a series of arguments and laughter. I have the time of my life.
Day 4: Day Trip Delirium and the Quest for the Perfect Souvenir
- Morning: After the chaos of our first few days everyone is a little wiped. We sleep in and enjoy our own company.
- Afternoon: We head to a nearby town to find souvenirs and do some more site seeing. We arrive and realize quickly that our car situation may be in serious trouble. After fixing it and managing to find some amazing shops and gifts, we head back to the apartment.
- Evening: We have a nice and easy night in. It is nice to rest and enjoy the apartment and all the things we've worked on. I am honestly exhausted but, in an amazing way.
Day 5: The Grand Finale (Or, The Great Escape!)
- Morning: The dreaded packing. The apartment is a disaster zone of scattered belongings. The memory foam pillows are still in the laundry and, oh god, the leftover cheese.
- Afternoon: Saying goodbye to the apartment. We make a point to clean up after ourselves and leave things as we found them. We return the car. I cry a little. OK, a lot!
- Evening: Farewell dinner at a local restaurant. More cheese, of course. More wine. We toast to camaraderie, chaos, and the enduring power of French cheese.
- Departure: Airport. Plane. Goodbye, Beaufort. Until next time!
Quirks, Imperfections, and Utter Honesty:
- The Bathroom Situation: One bathroom for ten people? Pure. Insanity. Prepare for lengthy queues, strategic shower scheduling, and a lot of passive-aggressive door banging.
- The Language Barrier: My French is… rudimentary. Expect a lot of pointing, charades, and relying on the kindness of strangers.
- The Food: I'm going to gain approximately ten pounds. No. Regrets.
- The Family Dynamic: Expect bickering, laughter, emotional outbursts, and moments of pure, unadulterated love. That’s the point.
- The Unexpected: Things will go wrong. Things will get messy. Embrace it. It’s part of the adventure.
So there you have it. My (extremely) rough guide to surviving, and hopefully enjoying, a trip to Beaufort. Wish us luck. We're going to need it. And bring extra cheese!
Lagos Luxury: Your Dream Villa Awaits (Private Pool!)Beaufort Palace: Our *Epic* French Alps Adventure! (Ask Us Anything... Seriously.)
Alright, buckle up, buttercups. The brochure? Lies. Gloriously photogenic, probably untouched by actual humans, lies. Beaufort Palace...picture this: a massive, charming chaos. Think of a beautifully aged French farmhouse... after a *very* good time. It's HUGE. We’re talking seriously spacious. Ten people? More like…a *sardine can* of fun, but with separate bathrooms. The "rustic charm" is real – exposed beams you *will* bonk your head on, uneven floors that threaten your ankles. But, and this is a big but… it’s freaking *amazing*. You get all the expected views. All the expected beauty. And, probably, a whole lot more than you bargained for.
Comfortably? Define "comfortably." We *survived*. Look, there were moments, okay? Moments where I swear someone was breathing my air. The bedrooms were…well, let’s just say some were more palatial than others. Our room, thankfully, had a view that could melt glaciers. But the other room had a leaky roof. It added a certain…rustic ambiance? We ended up laughing about it. But mostly everyone had their own space so all the kids could hang out when all the adults would just sit and drink wine in front of the fireplace. It forced everyone to be outside at the same time too.
The kitchen…ah, the kitchen. Okay, first day, it was *stressful*. We were juggling pans, trying to figure out where everything goes. The dishwasher? A grumpy old workhorse who only seemed to wash half the dishes. But! It was also *charming*. Huge windows looking out onto the mountains. We had to have a designated "dish-washing team" because…well, the dishwasher. We cooked *everything* in that kitchen. We shared all the meals. Even if we were just making sandwiches for five people, there was still plenty of space for the other people who wanted to hang out. We drank wine and laughed, even when the stove wouldn't light. It was a battle, sure, but a *beautiful* battle.
The location? GOLD, I tell you! Okay, it wasn’t *right* on the slopes. That would be too perfect. But it was a short, manageable drive to some seriously incredible skiing. The views on the way up the mountain are to die for. We had a designated "ski-equipment-and-boot-wrangler" (me, mostly) to make sure everyone was geared up and ready for the day. The village itself was adorable - think cobblestone streets, little cafes. We even discovered an *amazing* boulangerie that we basically raided every morning for croissants. Seriously, the croissants alone were worth the trip. The ski resort was packed, but so what? We managed.
Stuck together? Honey, that's the *point*! Okay, there were a couple of decent bars in the village. We went out sometimes, enjoyed ourselves, but the best parties we had when everyone was in the apartment. We had a fireplace. We *had* mountains of cheese and wine. We had each other. There were plenty of laughs. The music was blasting. One night we had a sing-a-long that was so loud the neighbors complained. The wine flowed. We even managed to burn the fondue. The highlight? Someone (I won’t name names…it was definitely *not* me) tried to make a cocktail…think of a volcano with way too much rum. It exploded. We were cleaning rum off the ceiling for days. But, honestly, the memories? Priceless.
Okay, bracing myself for some honesty here. The worst part? The last day. Cleaning up. Seriously. Ten people, a week of fun…it's a monumental task. The fridge looked like a food crime scene. Finding all the lost socks and gloves. The endless piles of laundry. And the feeling of knowing it was over. But even the cleaning felt bittersweet. It was the end of an adventure. And we left a mark on the place. We put our stamp on it.
*Worth it*? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! A thousand times YES! Leaning heavily YES. We’re already talking about booking again. We’re planning it. The imperfections? They're part of the charm. The space? Oh, let's say there’s enough of it for your family, and more. The memories? They will last us forever. The belly laughs, the shared meals, the epic adventures…Beaufort Palace is more than just an apartment. It is a *home*.
PACK. LAYERS. It's the mountains, people! Pack more socks than you think you need. Seriously. Socks disappear in the Alps. Bring a good book. And a *really* good bottle of wine (or three…or five). And, most importantly, bring a sense of humor. Oh! And a portable phone charger, because #mountainlife. I wish I had brought a better selection of board games. We ended up fighting over the few we had. And, if you're a coffee snob like me? Bring your own coffee and a French press. The instant coffee selection was...lacking. Consider the kitchen.
The kids? They *thrived*. Okay, there were moments of sibling rivalry, of course. There's always a screaming match or two in any large family. But between skiing, snowball fights, building snow forts, and playing video games in the evenings, they were in their element. The freedom the space offered was amazing. They made their own fun, and they got away from their screens. They were outside a lot. They made lifelong friends. They’re already begging to go back. So, basically, yes, they survived. They *won*.