
Hoi An's Hidden Gem: Maison Khoi Homestay - Unforgettable Vietnam Stay
Maison Khoi Homestay: Hoi An's Hidden Gem? Let's Unpack This…
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I've just returned from a stay at Maison Khoi Homestay in Hoi An, Vietnam, and I'm still sorting through the sensory overload. This place…it’s a lot. And I mean that in the best, most wonderfully chaotic way possible. Forget perfectly polished reviews, this is going to be honest, unfiltered, and maybe a little bit messy – just like my suitcase after the trip.
First, a disclaimer: I’m not exactly a seasoned traveler, and my definition of "luxury" leans heavily towards "clean sheets and a functioning WiFi." So, take my ramblings with a grain of Vietnamese salt.
Accessibility (or Lack Thereof, Honestly…)
Right off the bat, let's address the elephant – probably a cute, tiny Vietnamese one – in the room: accessibility. Maison Khoi does list "Facilities for disabled guests," but I didn't get a strong sense of dedicated accessibility. I didn't specifically request anything, so I can't vouch for elevators or ramps, or anything, but judging by the layout, it might be a bit of a challenge for someone with mobility issues. That being said, the staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating, so I suspect they'd go above and beyond to help, but I can't definitively say. (This is a big "ask for clarification before booking" point, folks.)
Cleanliness and Safety: The Pandemic's Shadow
Okay, COVID. Let’s just get it over with. Maison Khoi tried. They really tried. Anti-viral cleaning products? Check. Daily disinfection of common areas? Check. Hygiene certification? Probably check. They had hand sanitizer everywhere, staff in masks, and that feeling of "we're doing our best" that you got everywhere in Vietnam. I didn't see anyone actively wiping down surfaces, but their attempts were there, the kitchen equipment was clean, the tableware items were sanitized, and the whole place felt pretty safe. Room sanitization opt-out available I didn’t see.
Rooms: Cosy Chaos and Comfort
My room. Ah, my room. Here's where things get interesting. It’s a whirlwind of features, the good and the…well, the quirky.
- The Good: The bed was ridiculously comfortable – a serious plus after a day of dodging motorbikes. Blackout curtains? Bless them. I needed those. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms? YES! (Internet access – multiple options, including LAN, were great!) Air conditioning? Absolutely essential. Extra long bed was great. The room was kept immaculately clean, which is important to me. They also provided complimentary tea and bottled water, a nice touch.
- The Quirky: The room had a mirror that felt like it had seen things (not in a bad way), and a bathroom phone… because I was a child of the 80s. I mean, who uses a phone in the bathroom in 2024? And the decor… well, let's just say it was…eclectic. "Cozy Chaos" is the best way to describe it.
- The Imperfections: The window opened, but the view? Meh. Just a glimpse of another building. And, okay, I'm not going to lie: the shower took a little while to warm up. Minor quibbles, though.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Feast for the Senses (Mostly)
Okay, now we're talking! The food at Maison Khoi was a highlight, especially for someone like me who has a very strong appreciation for carbs.
- Breakfast: Oh, the glorious breakfast! (Asian breakfast and buffet in restaurant) It was a buffet, but a good one (I prefer that). There was everything, from fresh fruit (the dragon fruit was divine) to omelets cooked to order to traditional Vietnamese dishes I clearly had no idea how to eat properly. I absolutely destroyed the pastries. Oh, and the coffee! Strong, rich, and enough to get me buzzing for hours. Western breakfast was also there. (Breakfast in room, breakfast takeaway service).
- Restaurants: Yes, multiple restaurants. The main one served both Asian and international cuisine (A la carte in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant). (Coffee/tea in restaurant)!
- Snacking and Drinking: The poolside bar and the bar were brilliant. Happy hour meant cheap cocktails, and the pool itself was just gorgeous, a welcome oasis after the Hoi An heat. They also have a snack bar, in case you're feeling faint. (Bottle of water)
Things to Do/Ways to Relax (More Than Just Lounging!)
Okay, so, more than just sitting on the pool? (I did a lot of that, ngl.) Maison Khoi boasts a serious range of relaxation options.
- The Pool with a View: The pool! It was the perfect spot for a lazy afternoon, sipping cocktails, and pretending to be a jet-setting vacationer.
- Spa Day: (Spa, Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage, Spa/sauna, Sauna, Steamroom). Honestly, the prices were incredible. I went for a full body massage, and it was pure bliss. Be warned: you might fall asleep. I did. Several times. The body scrub and wraps also looked tempting, but I'm lazy.
- Fitness Center: (Gym/fitness) I actually saw a gym. I didn't go in, because…well, see "lazy" above. But it's there if you're into that kind of thing.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
They've got a lot, and most are great.
- The Essentials: They offer daily housekeeping, laundry service, concierge, room service (24-hour), and currency exchange. All standard, all excellent.
- The Helpful Extras The staff were super friendly and helpful. They’ll arrange airport transfers, offer baggage storage, and even a convenience store.
- The Business Stuff: Meetings, seminars, business facilities, even a xerox/fax in business center – all in one place.
For the Kids/Family/Child Friendly
Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal!
Getting Around
Airport transfer, bicycle parking, car park, taxi service, and valet parking.
In-Room Amenities: A Laundry List (Literally)
- The Basics: Air conditioning (thank god), Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens, Additional toilet.
Overall Impression: A Messy Masterpiece
So, would I recommend Maison Khoi? Absolutely. But with a few caveats. It's not a flawlessly polished hotel, and it's not going to suit everyone. If you’re after stark minimalism and absolute perfection, look elsewhere. However, if you crave charm, a relaxed atmosphere, a touch of unpredictability, and a staff that genuinely cares, then Maison Khoi is the perfect spot.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars (and a strong recommendation to inquire about accessibility before booking). It's a place that grows on you, like a good, slightly eccentric friend.
Venice Dream Apartment: Belvilla N20 Awaits!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, 'cause this isn't your average, perfectly polished travel itinerary. This is the real lowdown, the messy, sweaty, occasionally-tearful truth of my chaotic adventure in Hoi An's Maison Khoi Homestay. Prepare for a rollercoaster.
My Hoi An Homestay Heartbreak (and Happenings!) - A Messy Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival and Immediate Chaos (or, "Where's My Luggage?!" )
- 1:00 PM: Arrive at Da Nang International Airport (DAD). Okay, smooth landing. So far, so good, I thought, smugly. Then… the baggage carousel decided to play a cruel joke. My luggage? Vanished. Poof. Gone. Cue the minor panic attack. Thank goodness for the pre-paid transfer arranged by Maison Khoi. Khai, the driver, was a beacon of calm amidst my flailing. He even offered me a bottle of water and a sympathetic smile as I filed a missing luggage report, (which was easier said than done).
- 2:30 PM: Touchdown at Maison Khoi. OH. MY. GOD. This place! Walled in by lush gardens, and full of that quintessential Hoi An charm. It seriously looks like it was plucked straight from a postcard. Except, you know, a postcard featuring a woman in desperate need of a toothbrush and a clean shirt.
- 3:00 PM: Check-in and tentative settling in. The lovely Mrs. Khoi greets me with a smile that melts away some of my anxiety. I am introduced to my little haven, a room bright with the sunlight, adorned with a balcony overlooking the courtyard. It's the quintessential Indochinese setting. Still only in my travel clothes, which were now a little rumpled.
- 3:30 PM: Immediate, frantic search for a pharmacy and a replacement toothbrush. I needed it more than ever.
- 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Wandering aimlessly through the Old Town. The narrow streets, the tailor shops… It's a sensory overload in the BEST way. The lanterns! The colors! I felt a little lost, but in a good way. Saw a lady cooking Banh Mi on the street. Made a note, I had to have it! Also, a slight feeling of "Holy !@%, I'm actually here."
- 6:00 PM: Desperate attempt to find a restaurant that has air conditioning. It was HOT, and the no-luggage situation made me smell, not ideal. Found some place with a view of the river.
- 7:30 PM: Dinner. Shrimp in a very light sauce. Surprisingly good. Followed by a slightly disappointing (and overpriced) mango sticky rice. My first real meal in Vietnam, and it was pretty good, but I was still worried about my luggage situation.
- 9:00 PM: Jet lag hits. Hard. Lights out (after another fruitless luggage tracking attempt).
Day 2: Tailor Troubles and Temple Temptation (A Rollercoaster of Fabric and Faith)
- 8:00 AM: Wake up, STILL no luggage. Deep breaths. Breakfast at Maison Khoi. Fresh fruit, strong coffee, and Mrs. Khoi's gentle encouragement to "Don't worry, everything will be okay." I could have cried. Also, the coffee might have saved my life. Still, how can you not worry??
- 9:00 AM: The great tailor quest begins. Hoi An is famous for its tailors, and I needed some clothes, badly. I selected a tailor shop that was well-recommended in the guide and I was hoping for the best. But, I soon realized there was a language barrier, misunderstandings, and a lot of indecision on my part.
- 11:00 AM: Decided to go to a relaxing time to get my mind of things. A boat ride on the Thu Bon River. The scenery was beautiful, the air was still, and for a blissful hour, I forgot about everything. I was filled with a sense of peace.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch at a riverside restaurant. More delicious Vietnamese food. And a growing sense of hope that maybe, just maybe, my luggage would magically reappear.
- 1:30 PM: Back to the tailor. This time, I had a better idea of what I wanted and needed, but still the process felt complicated. I finally decided to go with it, and I left with a few measurements and the promise that my new clothes will be ready in two days.
- 3:00 PM: Visiting a local temple. Intensely beautiful and spiritually moving. I am not a particularly religious person, but there was something special about the place. Filled with incense smoke, and quiet contemplation.
- 4:00 PM: Wandered the market. Fresh produce, spices, and souvenirs galore. I spent way too much time (and probably money) buying things I definitely don't need. I was living in the moment.
- 6:00 PM: Decided to go to a cooking class. Because, why not? It was an absolute blast. I learned to make Pho, spring rolls, and a fish dish (which I promptly burned, but we won't talk about that). The chef made me feel like the champion of Vietnamese cuisine, despite the burnt everything. The food was so delicious, I forgot my luggage woes.
- 9:00 PM: Exhausted but happy. Back to Maison Khoi.
Day 3: The Beach, The Tears, and the Return of the (Miracle) Luggage!
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast (and more coffee). Seriously considering never leaving Maison Khoi. Best. Breakfast. Ever.
- 9:00 AM: Beach day! An Bang Beach is a short taxi ride from the homestay. Crystal-clear water, powdery sand, and a general feeling of paradise found. I spent hours just swimming, and letting the sun bake my pale skin. I ordered food and cocktails directly on the beach!
- 1:00 PM: A brief, but intense, moment of emotional release. Looking out at the ocean, I started thinking about all I have gone through, including the luggage. I had some problems and I got so stressed out that I started crying. I knew it was silly, and that it was just stuff, but it was still emotional. I let it all out, then I composed myself.
- 2:00 PM: Back to the homestay. Feeling rejuvenated. And there it was… a small miracle.. I was greeted by a smiling Khai, who was holding a suitcase. My luggage had finally arrived! Jumped around with joy. I could not have been happier!
- 3:00 PM: Tried on clothes, got ready, dressed, and smiled. All good!
- 4:00 PM: Relaxed with everyone. The atmosphere was amazing! I really felt I could relax with the staff and other guests.
- 6:00 PM: My last evening in Hoi An! Sad, but hopeful. Celebrated by trying some local beer, and Vietnamese spring rolls.
- 7:30 PM: Watched the sunset over the river.
- 9:00 PM: Packing, with a heart full of memories and a suitcase full of new clothes.
Day 4: Departure
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast. One last delicious feast.
- 9:00 AM: Final farewell. Leaving Maison Khoi was one of the hardest moments of my trip. I hugged everyone.
- 10:00 AM: Transfer to Da Nang airport.
- 11:00 AM: Flight home, filled with memories of Hoi An's beauty, chaos, and the incredible kindness of the people I met.
Observations and Ramblings:
- Hoi An is a sensory explosion. Be prepared to be overwhelmed. Embrace it!
- Learn a few basic Vietnamese phrases. It goes a long way.
- The food is incredible. Eat everything.
- Be open to unexpected adventures.
- Maison Khoi is a gem. Stay there if you can. Honestly, give Mrs. Khoi a hug from me.
This itinerary is a work in progress, just like me. It's not perfect, but it's mine. And, despite the initial luggage disaster, the tailor troubles, and the occasional emotional breakdown, it was a journey I wouldn't trade for anything. Hoi An, you stole my heart. And I can't wait to go back.
Agde Beach Paradise: Your Dreamy Rochelongue Apartment Awaits!
Maison Khoi Homestay: Hoi An's Hidden Gem (Or Maybe Just My New Obsession?) - FAQ's (and a Bit of a Love Letter)
So, what's the big deal about Maison Khoi Homestay? Is it *really* as amazing as everyone says?
Okay, let's be honest, I went expecting... well, *something*. Reviews had me picturing angels playing harps and breakfast buffets composed of pure sunshine. And listen, I'm a cynical traveler. I pack my anti-romance spray (it's a thing, don't judge). BUT. Maison Khoi... it got me. It *really* got me. It wasn't perfect (more on that later, don't worry!), but the genuine warmth? The insane breakfasts? The location? It's like they bottled up the best of Hoi An and served it with a side of ridiculously comfortable bed. I'm still dreaming about the *banh mi*.
Tell me about the rooms. Were they clean? Modern? Instagrammable-ly perfect? (Important questions.)
Clean? Yup. Spotless, even. And that's saying something after a week of eating street food. (My gut thanks them.) Modern? Not exactly. Which is a *good* thing! They've got this charming, rustic vibe. Think exposed brick, wooden beams, and overflowing plants. It's not a slick, sterile hotel. It's got character. My room had a balcony overlooking the courtyard. I spent a solid two hours just sipping strong Vietnamese coffee and watching the world go by. Instagrammable? Oh, absolutely. I may have taken *too* many photos. Guilty as charged. Especially of the… oh god… the *bathroom*. It was gorgeous. And yes, I'm a grown adult getting excited about a bathroom. Sue me.
And the location? How easy was it to get around Hoi An?
PERFECT. Seriously, the location is gold. You’re *right* in the heart of the old town. Like, five minutes' walk to the Japanese Covered Bridge. Five minutes! No more endless scooter rides or aggressive taxi haggling. You could practically roll out of bed and stumble into a tailor shop. (Which, let me tell you, is a dangerous but delightful possibility.) It was so easy to explore the lantern-lit streets, pop into restaurants, and lose myself in the markets. One night, I was wandering around, got disoriented (as I usually do) and bam! I was back at Maison Khoi within seconds. Heavenly.
Okay, the breakfast. You mentioned it. Is it truly legendary? Spill the tea (or, you know, the pho).
LISTEN. The breakfast… *sigh*. I need a moment. Okay, I'm good. The breakfast is… an experience. It's not just food; it's an act of love. Each morning, there's a spread of fresh fruit (mangos that burst with sunshine!), perfectly brewed coffee that'll wake you up AND make you happy, fresh-baked bread with homemade jams (the passionfruit one changed my life), and a rotating menu of Vietnamese specialties. Pho? Unreal. Banh mi? As I’ve mentioned, THE BEST. Pancakes? Fluffy clouds of deliciousness. And the best part? They *asked* what I wanted! The incredibly kind Mrs. Khoi (she's the heart of the place!) would genuinely ask what you fancy. You could’ve asked for unicorn tears and she'd have probably found a way to serve them. The sheer generosity and the *taste*... I swear, I gained five pounds, and I *regret nothing*.
Were there any downsides? Be honest! No place is perfect, right? (Even if it seems like it...)
Alright, alright, let's get real. Yes, there were a few… *ahem*… imperfections. The wifi was a little spotty at times. (First-world problem, I know). And the walls aren't exactly soundproof. So, if you're a light sleeper, bring earplugs. (I, however, was so zonked out from the breakfast coma, the street noise didn't even register.) Also, the water pressure in my shower could have been *slightly* better. But honestly? These are nitpicks. Small potatoes. They didn't detract from the overall experience even a tiny bit. Okay, maybe the shower pressure *slightly* annoyed me at first, but it’s easy to forget when you remember how kind everyone was. I'd happily endure a leaky faucet for the chance to go back.
The staff? What were they like? Did they make the experience?
THE STAFF. Oh, the staff. They're not just staff; they’re family. Mrs. Khoi is an absolute angel. Always smiling, always helpful, always ready to offer a cup of tea (or a comforting word if you’d accidentally bought too many silk scarves). Her sons and the rest of the team are just as warm and welcoming. They genuinely *care*. They remembered my name. They gave me recommendations for restaurants that weren't tourist traps. They even helped me haggle with a persistent street vendor (bless them!). It was like staying in a friend’s house, if that friend happened to be incredibly good at running a homestay. Truly, they’re the secret ingredient. They MADE the experience. Going back is just to see them all again.
Would you go back? Would you recommend Maison Khoi? Give it to me straight!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I'm already planning my return trip. I'm booking my flight *right now*! (Okay, maybe after I finish writing this). Maison Khoi is more than just a homestay; it's an experience. It's a hug. It's a slice of heaven. It's… well, you get the idea. GO. BOOK IT. Pack your bags. Go now! You will not regret it. Just… maybe leave a mango for me.
Okay, okay, one more thing! Is it truly a "hidden gem?" Or is it just a well-reviewed homestay that's been written about a lot?
This is the million-dollar question! And honestly, it's getting harder and harder to call it "hidden." The word is out. It's popular. But here's the thing: popularity doesn't diminish the magic. The warmth, the genuine hospitality, the incredible food... that's all still there. And trust me, even if there are more people discovering it, it still feels, well, special. Because it *is*. I’m just worried I wonEscape To Inns

