Escape to Paradise: Avalon Resort Kerikeri Awaits
Escape to Paradise: Avalon Resort Kerikeri - My Kerikeri Kerfuffle (and Triumph!)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I just got back from Avalon Resort Kerikeri, and let me tell you, it's an experience. Forget your pristine travel blog reviews – this is the real, unfiltered, slightly-sunburnt-and-still-dreaming-of-that-massage version. Prepare for a rambly, opinionated, and probably slightly unorganized account. Embrace the chaos!
(Metadata & SEO Snippet: Avalon Resort Kerikeri Review, Wheelchair Accessible, Luxury Spa, Northland New Zealand, Kerikeri Accommodation, Pool with a View, Accessible Dining, Best Kerikeri Hotels, Paradise Found, Family-Friendly Resort, Romantic Getaway, Spa Experience, Things to Do Kerikeri)
First things first: Accessibility. Now, I’m not in a wheelchair myself, but I was paying very close attention. Avalon surprisingly nails it. The wheelchair access is commendable. Ramps are plentiful, and I saw elevators everywhere. Getting around the common areas was a breeze, and that's a huge win. They've really thought about this – it's not just a token effort. Kudos, Avalon! And yes, I did check, and I'm going to highlight it again: Wheelchair Accessible is a huge win to me!
On-site accessible restaurants / lounges, well, that's another story. I didn't see specifically labeled "accessible" restaurants, but I did see wide aisles and seating arrangements that felt accommodating, and that's important. The restaurants themselves? Oh, we’ll get there.
Speaking of Internet, it’s a mixed bag. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! – yes, glorious yes. And it actually worked! I'm not kidding. I could stream and upload without the agonizing buffering that makes you want to hurl your laptop into the ocean. Praise be! Internet [LAN] they also offer which is great for business people.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: This is where Avalon really shines. I mean, come on, Spa/sauna? Yes, please! And the Pool with a view? More on this later. I'm a sucker for a good spa, and Avalon's is seriously tempting! The Body scrub was AMAZING, especially after that grueling (ok, it was a short) hike. And their Massage? Don’t even get me started. I'm still floating. The Spa services are top-notch. They have Fitness center and Gym/fitness, so you don't need to feel guilty. And, yes, I'd have tried the steam room, but I ran out of time. Seriously!
The Swimming pool [outdoor] which is the main Swimming pool is stunning. Picture this: shimmering water, the greenest landscapes, and a view that just sucks you right in. I spent a solid afternoon just… staring. The Poolside bar is your best friend on a hot day as it really does get you into the mood.
Cleanliness and Safety: This is a big one in today's world, isn't it? Avalon clearly takes this seriously. I could tell they got all the relevant Hygiene certification. Anti-viral cleaning products seem to be the cleaning products of choice. The staff seemed well-trained in Staff trained in safety protocol, and all the CCTV in common areas made me feel safe too.
I was impressed with how much they are doing in that regard. Daily disinfection in common areas is a sign of a hotel that understands the times. They also offered Room sanitization opt-out available, which is a nice touch. Room sanitization between stays gave me real peace of mind.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking Ah, the food! Here's where the experience wavered a bit. The breakfast buffet was, in general, satisfactory. Great Asian Breakfast and Western breakfast, however, it was a bit chaotic at peak times. I'm not going to lie. It was a case of 'survival of the well-fed.' They did have Breakfast in room, but who has time? Okay, I'm being harsh, it was good. There were the usual suspects. Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, and a Poolside bar made the whole experience that of the highest standards.
Restaurants, plural, is a bit of a stretch, but the main one offered a decent range. They also have a Vegetarian restaurant and Desserts in restaurant. The international cuisine in restaurant was delicious. Restaurants and Snack bar add even more variety to the resort.
I was particularly impressed with the Safe dining setup. The Sanitized kitchen and tableware items was very re-assuring.
Services and Conveniences: Honestly, Avalon has thought of everything. Currency exchange? Check. Luggage storage? Check. Daily housekeeping? Double-check! The Concierge was helpful, but not always immediately available (slightly annoying). The Facilities for disabled guests also made me feel really happy.
They have Business facilities as well, which includes Meeting/banquet facilities and Meeting stationery and even Xerox/fax in business center.
For the Kids: Family/child friendly? Absolutely. I didn't have kids with me, but I saw a ton of families happily enjoying themselves. Babysitting service is available, which is a major bonus.
Access: Good. Everything is designed for ease of access.
Getting Around: Airport transfer available, which is a big plus. Car park [free of charge] – another win! You can leave your car for free! There is a Car park [on-site], and a Taxi service.
Available in all rooms: The Air conditioning was a life-saver. So was the Wi-Fi [free]. The Bathrobes, and Slippers are a luxury, however. The best thing? Free bottled water!
My Avalon Awkward Adventure (and Triumph!)
Okay, here's the real, messy truth. I'm not usually a spa-kinda-gal. I'm more of a "throw-on-a-t-shirt-and-hike-up-a-mountain" type. But I figured, "Escape to Paradise," right? Embrace the pampered life!
So, I booked a massage. And the moment I stepped into the spa, the air just… changed. It became thick with the scent of lavender and… well, bliss. The therapist was lovely, and the music was just right. You know, the type of music that makes you feel like you're floating in a cloud of cashmere.
But then… (and this is where it gets awkward) halfway through the massage, I started… snoring. Loudly. Like, the kind of snoring that wakes up small birds. I was mortified. I could feel my face burning. The therapist, bless her, handled it with grace. She just gently paused, and I woke up, blushing furiously.
And here’s the beautiful part: she didn’t judge me. She didn’t rush me. She offered me another cup of ginger tea. And honestly, the rest of the massage was even better. After that experience, I had to make sure this review reflected that human imperfection.
Now, will I be back? Absolutely. Snoring and all. Because, despite my little kerfuffle, Avalon Resort Kerikeri delivered on its promise of escape. It's a place where you can relax, explore, and maybe, just maybe, snore your way to paradise. Just be prepared to embrace the imperfections – both yours and mine. And don't forget to book that massage! (And maybe skip the pre-spa coffee…)
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (minus half a star for the breakfast chaos, but mostly because I snored).
(End of review)
Unbelievable French Chateau with Pool: Your Dream Vacation Awaits!Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to do Kerikeri. And let me tell you, the phrase "Avalon Resort" had me picturing some kind of shimmering, unattainable paradise… and listen, it's pretty fantastic, but trust me, it's not all sunsets and perfectly-placed orchids. This itinerary? More like a roadmap to mild chaos, seasoned with copious amounts of coffee and my own personal brand of questionable decision-making.
Avalon Resort Kerikeri: Operation "Embrace the Haze" - A Messy, Honest Travel Diary
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Bungalow Panic
- 1:00 PM: Landed in Auckland. Jet lag is already a malevolent little gremlin gnawing at my brain. Found my way to Kerikeri. Finally, Avalon! The brochure promised "unparalleled tranquility." I pictured myself, draped in linen, sipping something fruity. Reality? More like, rummaging through my suitcase like a rabid raccoon trying to find a decent bra.
- 3:00 PM: Check-in. The bungalow? Adorable. Seriously, like, little-cottage-core-Pinterest-board-come-to-life adorable. Except… the lock on the front door decided to stage a protest. My first hour was spent wrestling with it, muttering profanities under my breath. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, click. Success! I triumphantly flung open the door, only to discover a colony of tiny, judgmental ants marching across the counter. Welcome to paradise, indeed.
- 4:00 PM: Panic-cleaning the kitchen (ants, you are not welcome). Ordered a bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc as a reward. It was… delicious. Almost forgot about the lock drama. Almost.
- 6:00 PM: Walked the resort grounds. The pool is ridiculously inviting. The spa? Tempting. For now, though, I'm sticking to the wine. Maybe tomorrow I'll actually do something. Maybe.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at the resort restaurant, "The Avalon Bistro." Ordered the fish of the day (snapper, naturally), which was divine. The service, however, was… slow. Really, really slow. I swear, I aged a year waiting for the dessert. The cheesecake was worth it, though. Totally worth it.
Day 2: Art, Waterfalls, and a Near-Disaster
- 9:00 AM: Dragged myself out of bed, fueled by a truly desperate longing for caffeine. Breakfast at the bistro - the eggs benny was… okay. Nothing to write home about, but it filled the void.
- 10:00 AM: Kerikeri Basin. Visited the Stone Store. Cool, historic. Appreciated the ancientness, even if I did almost accidentally trip over a very important-looking display. (Note to self: wear shoes that actually support my ankles.)
- 11:00 AM: Attempted to locate a really good coffee shop. The search continues, but the view of the Kerikeri Inlet was lovely. Felt a moment of actual zen. (That'll be the morning coffee, it was good).
- 12:00 PM: Waipoua Forest. Walked the Puketi trails, got more lost than I should have. It's beautiful, the ancient Kauri trees are truly amazing, but I'm pretty sure for a while, I was completely, utterly, and profoundly alone in the woods. Cue the dramatic music! My sense of direction is shockingly terrible. Found my way back eventually.
- 2:00 PM: Lunch at a cafe. I think. I can't quite remember.
- 3:00 PM: Rainbow Falls. Stunning. Seriously, wow. Worth the little scramble. Seriously, the spray on my face felt amazing.
- 5:00 PM: The Bay of Islands. Attempted kayaking. Disaster. Absolute, utter kayak catastrophe. I managed, through a combination of ineptitude and sheer panic, to capsize twice in what looked like a perfectly calm bay. I was rescued by the same VERY amused instructor. Decided water sports are not my forte.
- 7:00 PM: More wine. Much needed for coping with the day.
Day 3: The Orchard Odyssey and the Quest for the Perfect Scone
- 9:30 AM: Right. Morning coffee achieved. Decided to conquer the spa. Yes! Finally.
- 11:00 AM: After the spa, went for a walk to the orchards. Bought some delicious fruit and spent a while sitting in the sun, feeling slightly less like a hot mess.
- 12:00 PM: THE PERFECT SCONE QUEST. This is my most important mission. This is something I will cling to, even as the world around me falls apart. Went to a bakery. The scone? Stodgy. Disappointing. On to the next one.
- 1:00 PM: More scone hunting.
- 3:00 PM: More scone hunting. Starting to see scones in my sleep.
- 5:00 PM: Still haven't found the perfect scone. Decided to have another spa. Therapy is required.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at a local pub. Ordered the fish and chips. The chips were mediocre. The search for the perfect scone must continue.
Day 4: Departure - and the lingering question of the scone
- 9:00 AM: One final, desperate attempt for the perfect scone. (It's the most important thing).
- 10:00 AM: Checked out. The key worked this time. Small victories.
- 11:00 AM: Headed to the airport, already planning my return. And, yes, the quest for the perfect scone continues. Seriously, if anyone knows where it is, tell me. My soul depends on it.
- Travel Tip: Pack backup coffee supplies. And maybe a kayak that can handle a complete klutz like me.
- Avalon Resort Verdict: Beautiful, yes. Tranquil? Questionable. But hey, it's got charm, amazing views, and at least I learned to appreciate the chaos. Back to reality. Until next time, Kerikeri. You've been a blast. And yes, I still miss the scone.
Escape to Paradise: Avalon Resort Kerikeri Awaits - Your Burning Questions (and My Ramblings) Answered!
Is Avalon Resort *really* paradise? Because 'paradise' is a big claim, eh?
Okay, alright, let's get real here. Paradise? That's what the brochure says. And look, it’s Kerikeri, so yeah, it’s pretty darn stunning. Lush greenery, the bay… it's all very postcard-worthy. But is it *actual* paradise, the Garden of Eden, no laundry, fluffy-cloud type paradise? Nah. My idea of paradise involves unlimited pizza and a never-ending supply of good coffee. Avalon's got the coffee covered, at least (thank GOD).
I mean… I went expecting perfection. And, full disclaimer, I'm a chronic over-expecter. I'd seen the Insta photos, the curated smiles… My expectations were SKY HIGH. And, well… the first thing I did was trip over a rogue pebble while trying to navigate from my room to breakfast. Paradise-esque blunder number one! Thankfully, the coffee and the friendly staff quickly healed my bruised pride. Speaking of which, the staff *are* angels. They really go above and beyond. More on that later, the whole "staff experience" deserves its own sub-FAQ.
So, paradise-adjacent? Absolutely. Paradise? Maybe after a LOT of caffeine and a serious attitude adjustment. Bring your own sunshine, people!
Alright, the rooms. Were they Instagrammable? Actual comfort? Dish the dirt!
Okay, the rooms... Well, the *aesthetic*? Spot on. Think… breezy linen curtains, gorgeous views, calming neutrals. Super easy to make yourself feel like you’re living the rich-and-famous life, at least until you looked at the room service menu (ouch).
But… and there’s always a but, isn't there? My first room… the air con was a bit… temperamental. It went from freezing arctic blast to a tropical sauna in the flick of a switch. Which, let me tell you, is NOT ideal when you're trying to look relaxed in front of the TV. Thankfully they were amazing and moved me to a new room lickety-split with a better one. I will say the bed wasn't the *best* I've ever slept in. But, hey, even Queen B's probably have a bad night's sleep now and then. It was comfortable enough and I’ve suffered worse. (Once I slept in a tent during a hurricane... that put things in perspective!).
Overall, the rooms are lovely – perfectly fine. But be ready to embrace a bit of real-world imperfection. And maybe bring earplugs just in case a cranky air conditioner is your worst nightmare, like it is mine.
The Pool! The photos... are they lying? Is it a vibe, or what?
Oh, the pool. The *focal point* of many an Instagram feed, right? Let's break it down. The pool itself? Stunning. Seriously photogenic. Infinity edge, overlooking the bay... It's genuinely gorgeous.
The *vibe* though... that's where it gets interesting. When I went, it was...mixed. Some days, pure zen. Gentle conversations, people reading, the *sound* of nothing but the water lapping. Bliss. Then other days… well, my inner introvert wanted to dive into a deep hole and never come out. Kids splashing, loud music, people taking *very* long selfie sessions… you get the idea.
So, my pro-tip? Scope it out. Go for a pre-breakfast dip. Or plan your pool time strategically. If you want peace and quiet, aim for off-peak hours. Trust me, your sanity will thank you. And if you *do* encounter a noisy crowd, embrace the chaos or head back to your perfectly imperfect room!
The food situation: Are we talking gourmet heaven? Or… are we playing it safe?
Okay, food. This is a *critical* category. (I am, admittedly, fueled by carbs and caffeine). Avalon's restaurant is good. Not *mind-blowingly* amazing, but good. The breakfast buffet?Solid. Bacon, eggs, pastries, fruit… the usual suspects. The dinner menu leans toward the safe side – some nice seafood options, steak, salads. Nothing particularly groundbreaking, but the quality is excellent.
The thing that *really* impressed me was the staff's willingness to accommodate any requests. I wanted grilled halloumi instead of feta on my salad. No problem! (Small victories, people). I have to say the coffee was consistently great, a serious bonus, and the service was always friendly and attentive.
Bottom line: You won't be disappointed, but don't expect to find a food scene to write home about (unless you, like me, write a lot about, well, everything). If you're a massive foodie, maybe plan a day trip to check out the local cafes elsewhere. But for convenience and decent meals, you're golden.
Alright, the staff – give me the dirt. Are they smiling through gritted teeth, or do they genuinely care about making your stay amazing?
Okay, if there’s one thing Avalon *absolutely* nails, it's the staff. Seriously. I'm talking genuine, heartfelt positivity. I’ve stayed in hotels where the staff seem to view you as a necessary evil. At Avalon… it’s the complete opposite. They genuinely want you to have a great time.
I think it was the second day when I locked myself out of my room (clumsy as always). I felt *mortified*. But the person at reception didn't make me feel like an idiot. They were all smiles, fixed the issue within seconds, and didn't even *hint* at a "you're-such-a-clutzSnooze And Stay