Luxury Fontanka Quay VIP Apartments: St. Petersburg's Hidden Gem!
Luxury Fontanka Quay VIP Apartments: St. Petersburg's Hidden Gem? Maybe… Let's See.
Okay, buckle up, because I just got back from a stint at the Luxury Fontanka Quay VIP Apartments in St. Petersburg, and honestly? My brain is still trying to untangle all the shimmering bits of gold and the slightly…tarnished areas. This isn't your perfectly polished travel blog review; it's a messy, honest, and possibly slightly chaotic rundown of my experience. Consider this your pre-trip warning.
Metadata & Keywords (Because, you know, gotta play the SEO game): Luxury Fontanka Quay Apartments, St. Petersburg, Russia, VIP Apartments, Hotel Review, Accessibility, Spa, Sauna, Pool, Dining, Breakfast, Wi-Fi, St. Petersburg Hotels, Russia Travel, Best Hotels St. Petersburg, Accessible Hotels, Family Friendly Hotels, Luxury Travel.
First Impressions: The Grand Entrance…and My Mild Panic.
Alright, let's start with the basics. Accessibility: They say they have facilities for disabled guests. And the Elevator? Yes, there's one. But navigating the initial reception was…interesting. Finding the correct entrance from the Fontanka Quay was a mini-adventure in itself. I'm not going to pretend to be an accessibility expert, but I’d recommend calling ahead and clarifying specifics if you have particular needs.
On the other hand, the 24-hour Front Desk and Doorman were absolute lifesavers, especially after a red-eye flight and a minor luggage malfunction (don't ask!). They genuinely seemed happy to help, even when I was fumbling with my Russian phrases.
The Rooms: Gold Leaf, City Views, and…A Few Quirks.
My room? Stunning. Seriously, the Air Conditioning was a blessed relief from the St. Petersburg humidity. Air conditioning in public area? Check. The Views? Absolutely postcard-worthy, overlooking the Fontanka River. Think Blackout Curtains, perfect for those endless summer nights (or when you just want to catch up on sleep after a long day of wandering). The Coffee/tea maker was a godsend, and the Refrigerator was stocked with – well, mostly water, but hey, it’s a start!
Now for the quirks. The Bathtub was HUGE. Like, seriously, could probably fit three people. The Bathroom phone? I'm not sure who actually uses those anymore, but it was there. And while the Free Wi-Fi worked like a charm (thank you, thank you!), the Internet access – LAN was…well, I’m not sure I even tried it, to be honest. Old school!
My In-room safe box was a bit temperamental, and the Alarm clock seemed determined to go off at the most inconvenient times. Okay, maybe I didn't fully figure it out. Also, the Linens and Towels were undeniably luxurious, but the Carpeting…let’s just say, it could have used a bit more vacuuming. Small gripe, I know, but I am a stickler for clean floors.
The Spa Life (or, My Near-Death Experience in the Sauna).
They offer a Fitness center with a Gym/fitness, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna , Steamroom, and various treatments like Body scrub, Body wrap, and Foot bath. And yes, a Swimming pool and Swimming pool [outdoor]. I went for the sauna. Big mistake. (Kidding…mostly.)
The Sauna itself was gorgeous, all dark wood and hushed tones. But I’m pretty sure I underestimated the heat. I felt myself drifting, thinking maybe I should just curl up into a ball and sleep forever, which, not gonna lie, sounded pretty good. It was like a scene out of a very luxurious Inferno. I stumbled out, practically melting, and vowed to stick to the Swimming pool. And maybe add a glass of water, thanks.
The Massage? Heavenly! Pure, unadulterated bliss. Definitely worth the splurge. Seriously.
Dining: A Mixed Bag of Delights and…Disappointments.
The Restaurants had an A la carte in restaurant option, so if you like to be the boss of every mouthful, rejoice! I was slightly overwhelmed by the options. Let's just say I developed a serious addiction to the Coffee shop. And the Poolside bar was, well, poolside! It was good, but not epic.
The Breakfast [buffet]? Western breakfast and Asian breakfast were both available with a varied selection in front of you. I loved the Buffet in restaurant, but I could have done without the slightly rubbery scrambled eggs. The Coffee/tea in restaurant was decent, but I really missed my favorite local places I love to visit.
I did try the Asian cuisine in restaurant one night, which was fantastic! And kudos to the Vegetarian restaurant options. I was impressed!
Cleanliness and Safety: Modern Times, Modern Worries.
Okay, let's talk about the elephant in the room: the state of the world. They have Anti-viral cleaning products and promise Daily disinfection in common areas. They’ve got Hand sanitizer stations. The Rooms sanitized between stays. There’s even a Safe dining setup and Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. They do all the things, in other words.
I never saw anything that made me nervous, but this all felt a little…sterile, you know? Like, everyone's doing what they’re supposed to do, but there’s a certain lack of…warmth? Anyway, Staff trained in safety protocol, so that's that at least.
The Little Extras: Good and…Not So Good.
The Concierge service was fantastic, helping me with train tickets and restaurant reservations. The Laundry service was reliable, albeit a little pricy. (My fault for the luggage malfunction). The Food delivery options were good and varied.
But…the Gift/souvenir shop was a bit limited, and the Convenience store was, well, not very convenient. The most I can say is the Car park [free of charge] was pretty useful, but the Valet parking? Only for the really fancy folk.
Ah, and the best thing? The Bottle of water left in the room was a welcome touch!
For the Kids…and the Grown-Ups too?
The Babysitting service is there, but I didn't test it. I did see a few families, so the Family/child friendly claim seems legit.
Services and Conveniences: The Usual Suspects.
They offer pretty much everything: Air conditioning in public area, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping(although, did the vacuum cleaner ever show up?), Dry cleaning, Elevator, Ironing service, Luggage storage, Safety deposit boxes. You get the idea. Standard luxury hotel stuff.
Getting Around:
They offer Airport transfer and Car park [on-site], but walking around is the way to go to experience the city!
The Emotional Verdict: In Search of the “Hidden Gem”
So, is the Luxury Fontanka Quay VIP Apartments a hidden gem? It's complicated. It’s undoubtedly luxurious, with some truly outstanding features (that spa! That view!). The staff are generally excellent. The location is fantastic.
However, there were enough little imperfections and inconsistencies to leave me feeling a bit…uneasy. Did I love it? Absolutely. Would I stay there again? Probably. But I’d go in with my eyes wide open, with a slightly more relaxed approach, and possibly a higher threshold for slightly dusty surfaces.
It's not perfect, but it's got a certain charm. And sometimes, a little bit of imperfection is what makes a place memorable. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to Google “best vacuum cleaners for carpets.”
Luxury Alpine Escape: Sauna & Ski Views in St. Anton am ArlbergThe Fucking Fabulous Fontanka Frolic: A VIP Apartment, a Saint Petersburg Saga
Alright, so, I’m supposed to be writing this itinerary thing. For my trip to Saint Petersburg. VIP apartments, Fontanka Quay, address plastered all over the place like I’m some kind of celebrity (I’m not, trust me – more like a slightly-above-average Joe with a penchant for good vodka and a crippling fear of pigeons). Let’s see if I can make this sound remotely organized. Spoiler alert: highly unlikely.
Day 1: Arrival & Accidental Vodka-Fueled Fiasco
14:00: Arrive at Pulkovo Airport. (Good God, pray the luggage makes it. Last time I went through this I ended up with a suitcase full of someone else's holiday sweaters – a real head-scratcher.) Transfer to the VIP apartment at Fontanka Quay, 50-54. (Can't wait to see if it's as swanky as the pictures, or if it's just really good photography. My hopes are not high, the world has taught me to be skeptical).
15:30: Check in, hopefully without looking like a complete idiot (language barrier, existential dread, all that jazz). Unpack. Breathe. Maybe cry a little from the sheer overwhelming beauty of it all. Or maybe just from jet lag. We'll see.
17:00: The Vodka Incident. Okay, so, "Incident" is an understatement. Found a little something something in the pantry. Thought, “Why not, I’m on vacation!” Couple of shots. Felt AMAZING. Decided to head out for a "quick stroll" to 'get my bearings' (as if I have any bearing, I'm terrible with directions…).
18:00: Wandered around the Fontanka embankment. Saw the Anichkov Bridge. Got utterly lost. Attempted to ask for directions from a very stern-looking babushka. Ended up gesturing wildly and shouting something that I think meant "Where the hell am I?" She just glared at me and muttered something in Russian that definitely wasn't "Welcome to Saint Petersburg".
19:00: Managed (by some miracle of drunk navigation) to find a little something something restaurant. Ate some pierogies (so good I almost wept) and downed a glass of wine (or two, or three…). Tried to order dessert using the phrase "Please, more sugar, I am a sweet tooth!". The waiter seemed confused. I understood him.
21:00: Staggered (literally) back to the apartment. Played some classical music. Stumbled into bed. Passed out.
22:00: Woke up because of heartburn.
23:00: Passed out again.
Day 2: Culture, Cathedrals, and the Crushing Realization That I’m Not Cut Out for Art
09:00: Wake up with a BANG. In a bad way. Regret everything. Chug water. Vow to never touch vodka again (I’ll likely break that one).
10:00: Breakfast. (Hopefully the apartment provides some kind of coffee. I need the caffeine. Like, really need it.) Review the day's plan. The Hermitage Museum. Oh God.
11:00: The Hermitage. Ugh. Okay, so, the Hermitage is…big. Like, really big. And beautiful. And overwhelming. I wandered around for hours, looking at paintings that I couldn't understand, and sculptures that made me feel inadequate. I'm pretty sure I spent more time figuring out the bathroom situation than actually appreciating the art. And the crowds? Don't even get me started. It's like a mosh pit of tourists, all jockeying for the best view of a portrait of someone who probably wore too much powdered wig. The whole thing was… a lot.
14:00: Lunch. Found a little cafe near the museum. Ate some blini (they were good, but I'm starting to think Russian food is going to be the death of my waistline). Contemplated the meaning of life, the existence of art, and whether I should just give up and go back to the apartment to watch cheesy TV.
15:00: Tour of Saint Isaac's Cathedral. A beautiful building. Massive. Gold everywhere. Felt very insignificant standing inside. Climbed to the top of the dome (after a brief panic attack because I'm not really good with heights) and was rewarded with an amazing view of the city. Totally worth the sweaty palms.
17:00: Walked by the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood. Very colorful. Very flamboyant. A bit much, if I'm honest. Very… Instagrammable. I think I took like, 20 pictures from different angles.
19:00: Dinner. Something fancier tonight. Trying to be sophisticated. Probably going to fail miserably. Maybe I'll try to master the art of small talk…probably not.
21:00: Attempt classical music appreciation in the apartment. Suffer from another attack of existential dread. Fall asleep.
Day 3: Canals, Coffee, and the Persistent Fear of Getting Lost
10:00: Another late start. Jet lag is a cruel mistress.
11:00: Canal boat tour. Finally something I'm good at (looking at things!). Saint Petersburg from the water is beautiful. The buildings reflected in the water! It was actually quite peaceful. (Until the tour guide started talking in rapid-fire Russian, and I realized I understood absolutely nothing. Again.)
13:00: Lunch. Found a charming little cafe. Ordered coffee and a pastry. The coffee was strong (thank God), and the pastry was delicious. Felt a genuine moment of happiness. Even managed to hold a conversation with the waitress in a mix of broken English and frantic hand gestures. She was incredibly patient.
14:00: Wandered along Nevsky Prospekt. The main street. Lots of shops. Lots of people. Tried to resist the urge to buy a fur hat (I have no need for a fur hat, but Saint Petersburg makes you feel like you need one). I failed.
16:00: The Peter and Paul Fortress. Spent way too long trying to figure out the history. Eventually gave up. Enjoyed looking at it from the outside.
18:00: Pre-dinner snack. More blini. (I'm starting to think I have a problem.)
19:00: Dinner. Hopefully something that doesn't involve too much thinking. Maybe I'll just order a plate of potatoes.
21:00: Decided to give up on the whole 'culture' thing and just order room service and watch trashy television. Feeling a bit homesick. And slightly overwhelmed.
22:00: Ordered more vodka. This time I am going to drink it properly and not get trashed.
23:00: Drank it the same way, and got trashed again. Realized my whole trip was a mess.
23:30: Called my wife but did not managed to speak.
Day 4: Departure & The Epilogue
09:00: Airport. Praying I haven’t forgotten anything. Or anyone. (Where is my luggage?)
10:00: Flight. So long, Saint Petersburg—you beautiful, confusing, vodka-soaked city. I think I will miss you. Probably. Maybe.
Epilogue: I’m still not entirely sure what happened on this trip. I got lost. I drank too much. I felt overwhelmed. I ate too many blini. I saw some amazing things. And I learned that I'm not as sophisticated as I thought I was. And, more importantly, I made a fool of myself in every restaurant that I visited. I would do it again, every day.
Escape to Paradise: Cozy Noordwolde Apartment with Balcony!Luxury Fontanka Quay VIP Apartments: St. Petersburg's Hidden Gem! (Or Is It?) A Messy FAQ
Okay, spill the tea. Are these apartments *really* as luxurious as they sound? My Instagram feed has me GASPING.
*Huffs dramatically*. Alright, fine. Let's get this over with. Luxurious? Yes. But like, the kind of luxurious where you're also slightly terrified you're going to break something antique? Think less "beach vacation" and more "visiting a Russian oligarch's extremely well-decorated (and probably heavily bugged) weekend pad." The marble is real; the chandeliers could probably blind a small nation; and the views? Oh. My. God. The views. I swear, I spent a solid hour just staring out the window, feeling supremely insignificant and yet somehow utterly fabulous. But... the lighting? It was like a poorly-lit museum. Felt like I needed a headlamp just to order room service. Which, by the way, was *amazing* but took approximately FOREVER thanks to a charmingly inefficient (yet incredibly polite) service staff. So, yeah. Luxurious. With a side of "slightly frustrating bureaucracy." Like life, really.
What's the *actual* location like? Is it as "centrally located" as the brochure promises? Because, let's be honest, brochures lie.
Central? Absolutely. *Perfectly* central? Well... the brochures are only *partially* lying. You're right there on the Fontanka River, which is stunning, I will give them that. You can walk to the Hermitage in, like, a brisk fifteen minutes. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. But then you step out onto the actual street, and OH. MY. GOD. Parking is a nightmare, a genuine, soul-crushing, make-you-want-to-punch-a-traffic-cone nightmare. Taxis are plentiful, but getting them at rush hour is like trying to catch a greased pig. And the cobblestone streets? Prepare for your ankles to suffer. Seriously, pack sensible shoes. I spent a fortune on this amazing pair of boots and I regretted them every single step I took. Don't be a fool like me. Comfortable shoes are key. And maybe a car service… just saying.
The decor... I saw the pictures. It's a LOT. Is it... comfortable to *live* in? Or just for Instagram?
Comfortable? Okay so... it's like, a gorgeous, over-the-top *museum* piece. Everything is pristine, so like, I couldn't bring myself to actually *use* anything. I was terrified of spilling anything. Like, I saw a velvet couch and I'm seriously 90% sure they'd have my firstborn if I so much as *looked* at it sideways with a slightly dirty thought. It's fantastic to *look* at. Seriously, the detail is amazing. You'll die of envy. But "live" in? After a few days, I actually craved something a little less... intimidating. I felt this overwhelming pressure to be elegant and proper. That quickly faded. Seriously. It’s not somewhere you can just sprawl on the sofa in your pajamas with a massive bag of chips and binge-watch Netflix. Which, you know, is basically my life goal. It’s more like somewhere you feel you need to wear a tuxedo or ball gown. It's beautiful, but a little… exhausting, emotionally.
Let's talk about the staff. Are they helpful? Attentive or just... present?
The staff… *takes a deep breath*. Okay. They're *present*. They're incredibly polite. They’re very, VERY good at maintaining that air of hushed perfection. They're like elegant, helpful ghosts. I mean, they’ll get you *anything* you want. But… and there is a but, a BIG one, it seems to take FOREVER. I asked for extra towels, and I swear they had to consult a committee of twelve people before they appeared. I ordered breakfast, and it was exquisite, but it also arrived roughly 45 minutes after I decided I was going to just eat the curtains. They are also very, very reserved. Don't expect wild laughter or buddy-buddy chats. It's all very formal. Which, you know, has its charm. But is the "vibe" I'm looking for when I'm desperately hungover and just need a goddamn coffee? Maybe not.
What about the amenities? Hot tub? Gym? Concierge to fulfill all my wildest desires?
Okay, so let's be realistic. Wildest desires? Probably not. I'm pretty sure I was asked to sign a waver after I asked if they could arrange for a Siberian tiger to sunbathe on the balcony. (Don't judge me. I was bored.) They have a small gym. Functional. But, let's be honest, I spent most of my time walking around the city, gorging myself on blini, and then collapsing back in the apartment defeated. They had a concierge, which was lovely. She was very helpful with booking tours and restaurant reservations. She even managed to get me a last-minute ticket to the Mariinsky (a HUGE win!). But even the concierge had a certain... "controlled atmosphere" when dealing with your requests. Hot tub? Nope. Spa? Definitely not. A fully loaded room service menu? Yes, if you're prepared to wait an hour and a half for a grilled cheese.
Alright, the *real* question: would you go back?
(Pauses, strokes chin thoughtfully) ... You know what? Yes. Despite the minor inconveniences and the slightly oppressive grandeur, I would. It was a truly unforgettable experience. The location is spectacular. The views... I keep going back to then. They were worth the price of admission alone. Let's be real, I was in a *fancy* apartment in *St. Petersburg*, with all the trimmings! I felt like a character in a spy movie, or at least a very wealthy, very lost tourist. And honestly, the stories I can tell? Gold. Just go. Embrace the madness. Pack sensible shoes. And maybe bring your own box of Kleenexes. You *will* be overwhelmed by the beauty and the occasional, slightly ridiculous, drama.
Pro-Tip???
Oh, I have *so* many. But the *BIGGEST* one? Don't be afraid to ask for things. Seriously. I spent half my time being polite and timid but the staff are there to serve. Maybe a bit slowly, but they *will* do what you want. Also, pack an adapter. Don't assume they provide everything you want, which is really just common sense. And learn a few basic Russian phrases. It goes a long way. (Even if you butcher them miserably, like I did). And finally: If you're trying to get a cab at rush hour, be prepared to fight for your survival. Or just be rich enough to have your own car service. Or just... stay in the apartment. You'Trip Hotel Hub