Ekati Corfu: Greece's Hidden Paradise Awaits!
Ekati Corfu: Paradise Found (Maybe with a Few Hiccups!) – A Raw & Real Review
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to give you the lowdown on Ekati Corfu. Forget sanitized brochure copy, I'm diving deep, warts and all, into this supposed Greek paradise. Be warned: I'm prone to tangents, strong opinions, and the occasional overly dramatic sigh.
SEO & Metadata Snippet (because, you know, the internet): Ekati Corfu Review: Wheelchair accessible, spa, pool with view, free Wi-Fi, accessible restaurants, family-friendly, luxury hotel in Corfu, Greece. Honest travel review of Ekati with info on accessibility, facilities, and things to do.
Getting There & First Impressions: The Good, the Bad, and the Slightly Confused
Landing in Corfu was, as always, pure joy. The air itself smells like sunshine and olives. The airport transfer (shuttled like royalty by Ekati – I swear, the car was clean) was smooth, and the first glimpse of the hotel was… well, impressive. Ekati is perched somewhere on Corfu, probably in an area that whispers luxury. We were treated with a warm welcome at reception, although I did find myself wondering if the receptionist had been wearing a tiny, hidden earpiece. "Welcome… Mr… [checks screen]… Smith. We are SO delighted to have you…" Felt a bit robot-y, but hey, that's probably the "luxury experience"… right?
Accessibility - A Mixed Bag, Honestly…
Let's be real: accessibility is a BIG deal for me, and Ekati's website promised the world. I'm using a wheelchair, so proper access is crucial.
- Wheelchair Accessible?: Mostly. Elevators were plentiful, and the main areas, restaurants and pool, were generally navigable. However, there were some minor bumps. The paths to one of the spa areas had a few tricky slopes. Nothing catastrophic, but it definitely wasn't perfect.
- Rooms?: No specifically adapted room for me, but they seemed adaptable to an extent. They have a grab bar in the bathroom, which is good!
- Overall: Okay. They try hard, and the staff are genuinely eager to help. But if you need perfect accessibility, double-check everything before you book.
Rooms: Comfort, Cleanliness, and the Quest for the Perfect Pillow
My room! Okay, let's be honest, it was gorgeous, from the moment I stepped inside. The room was equipped with everything: a balcony, an extra long bed (seriously, the mattress was so good). Of course, the free Wi-Fi in all rooms was a major win (and worked flawlessly, unlike some places where you have to wrestle with a username and password for an hour). And I'm a total sucker for blackout curtains – essential for a good night's sleep.
- Cleanliness?: Spotless. I'm talking gleaming surfaces and not a speck of dust. They were serious about cleaning products! I appreciated their use of Anti-viral cleaning products and Rooms sanitized between stays.
- Amenities?: Coffee and tea maker, a well-stocked mini bar, and even a refrigerator to keep my water chilled (essential in the Corfu heat!).
- My Opinion?: Generally good. The free bottled water was a nice touch.
- Soundproofing?: Super quiet. I barely heard a thing from outside.
Dining: A Gastronomic Adventure (with a Touch of Overwhelm)
Food, glorious food! Ekati's dining options… well, they're extensive.
- Restaurants: Multiple. Restaurants! You want Western cuisine in restaurant? They've got it. Asian cuisine in restaurant? Check. Vegetarian restaurant? Yep. A Coffee shop? Yes!
- Breakfast: The famous Breakfast [buffet] was pretty impressive, but I prefer something less overwhelming. I'm not a good buffet guy. I'm also not the most sociable; but the breakfast in room was possible too!
- Other Dining Options: The Poolside bar was a godsend during the day, and the Room service [24-hour] proved to be a life-saver on a couple of nights I just wanted to collapse.
- Cleanliness and Safety: Ekati was clearly on top of the Covid-19 protocols. All the servers wore masks. And they had Sanitized kitchen and tableware items and Safe dining setup
- Personal Highlight: Definitely the Asian stir-fry. And a few cocktails from the happy hour.
Relaxation & Recreation: Pamper Yourself or Get Your Sweat On
Alright, so, the good stuff! Because, let's be real, most of us go on holiday to relax. Ekati delivers here.
- The Spa: Oh, the spa! I went for a massage, and it was blissful. The facilities were stunning, and the therapist was fantastic. I even went for a Body scrub (a first for me!), and I came out feeling like a new person! It was expensive, admittedly, but worth it.
- Pools: The Swimming pool with view was breathtaking, a perfect place to spend the afternoon.
- Fitness: The Fitness center was well-equipped, although, like most hotel gyms, it lacked that "real" gym vibe.
- Steamroom & Sauna?: Yes, yes, and yes! Perfect for thawing out those weary muscles.
- My Odd Observation: I'm not huge on the Body wraps, but the people that got them seemed to enjoy them.
Things To Do: Beyond the Beach… and the Spa…
- Activities at the Hotel: Some Indoor venue for special events, some Outdoor venue for special events.
- Other stuff: A Gift/souvenir shop (inevitable, but useful), a Bar (essential), and a Concierge that could arrange pretty much anything (excursions, car rental, etc.).
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things that Make a Difference
I'm a big believer in the little things. Does the hotel provide a seamless experience?
- Check-in/out?: Contactless check-in/out was offered (good for hygiene), but I preferred a personal touch, and the staff were helpful.
- Laundry?: The Laundry service was efficient (and necessary, given the amount of sun cream I used!).
- Other stuff: The Daily housekeeping service was immaculate and discreet. They really did an excellent job. Air conditioning in public area and in my rooms.
For the Kids:
I'm not traveling with kids, but Ekati seemed to be very Family/child friendly. Kids facilities were available, and I spotted a Babysitting service.
Cleanliness and Safety: Rightly Considered
These are crucial right now! I felt very safe throughout my stay.
- Hygiene: They had Hand sanitizer everywhere, and everything was cleaned frequently.
- Staff training seemed to have really paid off.
The Imperfections: The Little Gripes (Because, You Know, Life)
- The Price: Ekati is not cheap. It's a luxury hotel, and the prices reflect that.
- Overwhelmingness: So much choice can be a bit… much. Sometimes I just wanted simplicity.
- The Robot Receptionist (again): I felt the need for more personal connection.
Overall Impression: Worth It? Absolutely (Mostly)
Despite the nitpicks, Ekati Corfu is a truly beautiful hotel. The service is generally excellent (if a tad formulaic), the facilities are top-notch, and the setting is stunning. It's a perfect place to relax, pamper yourself, and soak up the Greek sunshine. If you're looking for a luxurious getaway, I'd highly recommend it, as long as you're prepared to spend a bit. Just don't expect perfection – embrace the little quirks, and you'll have an amazing time.
Final Score: 4.5 Stars (Would absolutely recommend, with a few caveats!)
Escape to Your Dream Home: Hornstorf, Germany Awaits!Ekati, Corfu: My Love-Hate Letter to Paradise (with a Side of Chaos)
Okay, deep breaths. Corfu. Ekati. Land of crystal-clear water and… well, let's just say adventure. This isn't your perfectly curated Instagram feed, folks. This is my attempt to survive (and hopefully thrive) in a Grecian paradise, one frappe at a time.
Day 1: Arrival… and Instant Regret?
Morning (7:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Fly into Corfu Airport, which is a terrifying ballet of tiny planes and bewildered tourists. Found my pre-booked transfer, a beat-up Fiat that smelled faintly of olives and despair. The driver, a man named Spiros who looked suspiciously like a pirate, drove like he was auditioning for the next Fast & Furious film. Clutching the seatbelt, I muttered a prayer to Poseidon, or whoever's in charge of safe travel.
- Anecdote: Spiros, mid-maneuver through a narrow mountain pass, casually pointed at a goat and said, "Good eatin'." I'm pretty sure I saw a glimpse of my own mortality in those goats' eyes.
Afternoon (12:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Check into my "charming villa" in Ekati. Charming, as in ancient, dusty, and with a plumbing system that seems to be powered by sheer stubbornness. But the view… oh, the view. Turquoise water sparkling, olive groves sprawling. Okay, I see the appeal. Sort of.
Afternoon (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Attempt to find a beach. Google Maps lied! Took a wrong turn, ended up on a dirt track, got chased by a gaggle of geese (they were surprisingly aggressive), and emerged, dust-covered and slightly traumatized, at a completely deserted beach. Success? Maybe.
Evening (6:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Dinner at a taverna recommended by Spiros (who, despite my near-death experiences, seems to have a good grasp on food). Ordered the grilled octopus, which tasted amazing, but I swear, one of its tentacles winked at me. Either that, or I'm already hallucinating from the Greek sun and the sheer chaos of the day.
Evening (9:00 PM onwards): Stagger back to the villa, collapse on the surprisingly comfortable bed, and vow to master the art of "doing nothing" tomorrow. This island is exhausting.
Day 2: The Beach… and a Revelation
- Morning (8:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Beach time! Finally conquered the treacherous dirt track and found a real beach, with actual sunbeds and a bar! Spent the morning alternating between sunbathing, swimming in water so clear you can see all the way to the bottom, and strategically avoiding the overly enthusiastic vendors selling inflatable flamingos.
- Quirky Observation: The sunbeds are arranged in a bizarre fashion, like a perfectly planned escape route for a squadron of disgruntled tourists.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM - 2:00 PM): Lunch at the beach bar. Ordered a Greek salad, which was basically a mountain of fresh, delicious vegetables. Feeling a surge of optimism. Maybe this paradise thing isn't so bad after all.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Back to the beach. This is where things take a turn… a glorious, sun-drenched, sand-in-my-hair turn. I decided, after some considerable self-reflection, that I would, in fact, try to swim, despite my crippling fear of the ocean. After an agonizing 20 minutes inching off the shoreline, I found myself, you guessed it, floating! I am now a mermaid, or at least, a very clumsy half-human approximation of one.
- Afternoon (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM): The sun, the sea, the sand, the sheer freedom! I felt a lightness I hadn't experienced in years. I laughed, I splashed, I almost drowned (just kidding…mostly). I felt unbelievably happy.
- Evening (6:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Dinner at a different taverna, this one overlooking the sunset. The food was good, the wine was better. Made a new friend, a local named Eleni, who told me stories of the island, its people, and the best gelato place in Ekati.
- Evening (9:00 PM onwards): Walked back to the villa under a sky brimming with stars. Felt truly at peace. This island… it's getting under my skin.
Day 3: Exploring… and the Bitter Truth About Perfection
- Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Rented a scooter (against my better judgment). Decided to explore the island. Immediate chaos ensued. Got lost (shocking!), ended up on a road barely wider than the scooter, and nearly went over a cliff (again).
- Emotional Reaction: At one point, I yelled at the scooter. "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?!" I think I may be cracking.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM - 2:00 PM): Found a tiny, hidden chapel. Beautiful, serene, and utterly perfect. Except for the fact that the lock on the door was broken, and I could practically feel the disapproving gaze of the Greek Orthodox saints.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Continued wandering. Stumbled upon a local market. Bought some olives, some honey, and a very questionable-looking pastry. The pastry was, in fact, disgusting.
- Afternoon (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Return to the villa, exhausted and slightly defeated. The "perfect" island is starting to unravel, revealing its messy, imperfect heart. And I'm strangely okay with that.
- Evening (6:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Dinner at a restaurant closer to town. Food was okay, the company (my own) was better. Took a moment to observe the hustle and bustle of life around me, people laughing, talking, and generally just existing.
- Evening (9:00 PM onwards): Sat on the villa terrace, watching the moon rise over the sea. Realized that the imperfection is exactly what makes Corfu so damn charming.
Day 4: The Boat Tour… and Epiphany Number Two
- Morning (10:00 AM - 1:00 PM): Finally did the boat tour. It was advertised as "romantic," but it was more like a floating petri dish of sunburned tourists. (I'm not judging, I was one of them). Sailed around the coastline, visited hidden coves, and swam in water so blue it looked fake.
- Stronger Emotional Reaction: The scenery was so unbelievably beautiful, I think I almost cried. Like, proper, ugly-cry-into-my-sunscreen cry. This wasn't just a trip; this was a spiritual experience.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 3:00 PM): Lunch on the boat. The food was meh, but the view was stunning.
- Afternoon (3:00 PM - 5:00 PM): More swimming, more sun. I felt like a new person. The sea had washed away all my worries and left me feeling refreshed, invigorated and ready for one more day of adventure.
- Evening (5:00 PM - 7:00 PM): Back at the villa, had a long hot shower and made a list of items in my life I can improve upon.
- Evening (7:00 PM - 9:00 PM): A final, delicious meal at the taverna with Eleni, who introduced me to other interesting locals.
- Evening (9:00 PM onwards): Packing. Sadness, but also a deep sense of gratitude.
Day 5: Departure… and the Promise of Return
- Morning (8:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Sadly, checked out of the villa. Spiros, the pirate, was there again. He even smiled at me this time. Said something about "good eatin'," but this time, it felt… okay.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM - 2:00 PM): The flight home. Reflecting on the trip. The sun, the sea, the chaos. The beauty and the mess.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Boarding the plane. Thinking of all the experiences I need to have when I come back.
- Evening (4:00 PM onwards): Leaving from Corfu. I'm already planning my return. Ekati, you crazy, beautiful island, you got me.
P.S. I need to learn some Greek. And maybe get a
Escape to Dutch Paradise: Luxurious Bungalow near Ancient Wonders!Ekati Corfu: Greece's Hidden Paradise Awaits! (But Seriously, Is it?!) - FAQ's... Kinda.
Okay, is Ekati *really* hidden? I've heard the word "paradise" thrown around... should I believe the hype?
Alright, let's be honest. "Hidden" is relative, right? Ekati's not exactly a secret handshake. But compared to Corfu Town or Paleokastritsa? Yeah, it feels a world away. Believe the paradise hype... *kinda*. It's less manicured paradise and more... raw, untamed paradise. Think jagged cliffs, olive groves clinging to the hillsides, beaches that are blissfully devoid of sunbeds lined up tighter than sardines. I mean, remember that godawful traffic in the north? Ekati? Pure, glorious *nothing*. (Unless the local goat decides to wander across the road, which happened to me. Twice.)
Look, the water's turquoise, the sunsets are killer, and the food? Dear God, the food. So, yeah. Embrace the hype, but be prepared for a bit of grit. It's the good kind, though. The kind that makes you feel *alive*.
What's the vibe like? Is it all yoga retreats and kale smoothies? (Please say no to kale smoothies...)
Absolutely *no* to the kale smoothies. (Thank the gods.) The vibe... it's relaxed. Like, *deep sigh* relaxed. Think flip-flops, salty hair, late nights spent chatting under the stars. There are definitely yoga retreats, but they're mostly tucked away in the hills, not forcing themselves on anyone.
It's a place where you can genuinely *disconnect*. I remember one evening, I tried to Facetime my family. Nothing. Not a single bar of signal. At first, I panicked. Then, the world seemed to melt away. I realized I could *hear* the cicadas, the waves. It was glorious. Okay, maybe a *little* bit of a freak-out initially, but mostly glorious. I’m actually breathing again just thinking about it.
So, less influencer posing, more… genuine living. More plates of grilled octopus and glasses of cheap, delicious wine. More conversations with locals who've been there for generations, who'll tell you all the secrets. Which… reminds me! Don’t expect every local to speak perfect English. Embrace the broken conversations with a lot of smiles. It’s part of the charm.
Beaches! Tell me about the beaches! Are they over-crowded?
Beaches. Oh, the beaches! Okay, prepare yourself. They're stunning. And no, thankfully, they're not *usually* over-crowded. That's a huge win. Remember that one in Glyfada? Ugh, shoulder-to-shoulder. Ekati's beaches are different. They're often little coves, hidden gems nestled between the cliffs.
I had one experience... I won't say the name of the beach, for fear of the Instagrammers finding out and ruining it. But picture this: a tiny strip of golden sand, turquoise water, and *maybe* five other people. I spent the entire day there, reading, swimming, completely losing track of time. I forgot to put on sunscreen (rookie mistake, I know!). Let's just say I looked like a lobster in the evening. Painful. Very, very painful. But totally worth it. Even the sunburn. Okay, maybe not the sunburn.
Don't forget to wear water shoes! There are pebbles, and sometimes, I swear, the rocks are determined to attack your feet. I nearly broke an ankle one time! Okay, maybe not nearly. But it was *close*.
What about food? I'm a total foodie! What can I expect?
Food! My love language! Prepare to have your tastebuds sing. Ekati's food is incredible. Fresh, simple, bursting with flavor. Think: grilled fish, caught that morning. Think: olive oil – literally *everything* has olive oil in it. Think: the BEST tomatoes you've ever tasted, bursting with sunshine.
I remember one taverna, a little family-run place tucked away in the hills. The owner, a tiny woman with a mischievous glint in her eye, practically forced me to eat an entire plate of moussaka. (I'm not complaining.) It was the richest, most flavorful moussaka I've ever experienced. I've been dreaming about it ever since. I’m craving it right now. See, this is what Ekati does to you. It makes you remember food with such raw intensity… you almost *feel* the taste again!
Don't miss the local specialties. Savour the slow-cooked meats. Try the fresh-baked bread, warm from the oven. And for heaven's sake, order the local wine. It's cheap, it's plentiful, and it’ll make you feel like you’re sitting on top of the world...even after you're down a few glasses.
How do I get there? Is it a pain?
Getting there… well, it’s not *difficult*, exactly. You fly into Corfu International Airport (CFU) and rent a car. That’s essential! Don't rely on buses. Just take it from me: driving is the way to go. The roads are… let’s call them “characterful.” Narrow, winding, sometimes with sheer drops that will have you gripping the wheel with white knuckles.
My advice: rent a smaller car. Seriously. You’ll thank me later, especially when you're navigating those tiny streets in the villages. Be prepared to embrace your inner rally driver. And learn the Greek for "slow down, please!" (I didn’t, which probably explains why I nearly *did* break my ankle on that beach earlier). The drive *is* part of the experience, though. The views are incredible. Even when you're terrified. The views are always worth the terror. Mostly.
Oh – and make sure you have good travel insurance. Just a thought.
Okay, I'm sold. Anything I *shouldn't* do?
Yes! Okay, vital information here.
- Don't expect pristine perfection. Embrace the imperfections! That slightly wonky road sign, the occasional power outage (bring a flashlight!). It's all part of the charm.
- Don't be in a rush. Ekati operates at its own pace. Patience is key. If your bus is late, laugh! if your food takes ages to come, shrug your shoulders! Enjoy the view.
- Don't be afraid to wander. Get lost! Seriously. That's how you find the *real* treasures.Find Hotel NowEkati Corfu Island GreeceEkati Corfu Island Greece