Escape to Tuscany: Luxurious Belvilla in Citta di Castello!
Escape to Tuscany: Luxurious Belvilla in Citta di Castello – My Unfiltered Take! (SEO & Metadata Included)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I just got back from a stay at the Belvilla in Citta di Castello, and my brain is still churning like a gelato machine after a particularly enthusiastic festival. This isn't your usual, pristine review. This is the real deal. Prepare for rambles, opinions, and the occasional emotional outburst. You were warned.
SEO & Metadata Jargon (Just to appease the algorithms):
- Keywords: Belvilla, Citta di Castello, Tuscany, Luxury Villa, Accessible Accommodation, Spa, Swimming Pool, Restaurants, Family-Friendly, Italy, Vacation Rental, WiFi, Wellness, Italian Holiday, Romantic Getaway, Disabled Access, Pet-Friendly (even if… we'll get to that),
- Categories: Travel Review, Accommodation, Luxury Hotels, Family Travel, Accessible Travel, Spa & Wellness, Italian Cuisine, European Travel
The Good, the Bad, and the "Wait, What Just Happened?" Part of the Belvilla Experience
First, let's get one thing straight: Tuscany. It's gorgeous. Like, drop-dead, makes-you-want-to-write-poetry-on-a-napkin gorgeous. And the Belvilla, from the photos anyway, seemed to promise a slice of that heaven, wrapped in a bow made of luxury.
Access (or, The Dance of the Wheelchair…)
Okay, accessibility. This is important, so let's dive in headfirst. The website promised "facilities for disabled guests." And while, technically, they weren't lying, the reality was… nuanced. The main entrance was accessible, but navigating the grounds… hoo boy. Gravel paths? They're the enemy. I spent a good chunk of my stay feeling like I was competing in a low-level off-road racing tournament. Getting to the pool? Challenging, but doable with some serious upper-body strength (and possibly a small, very helpful gnome). Some of the villas themselves seemed to have better accessibility than others, so definitely clarify specifically what the setup is like in your chosen villa BEFORE you book. Don't be shy! Ask those questions!
On-site Feast or Famine? (Restaurants & Lounges)
There were restaurants! Hallelujah! And a bar! Vital. The a la carte restaurant had some delicious options, and… okay, let's be real, the pizza? Amazing. The staff seemed genuinely happy to help with modifications for any dietary requirements (vegetarian options were plentiful – I devoured the gnocchi). Finding somewhere to sit with a view, however, was dependent on how quick you are. The bar was a perfect place to relax, though.
Wheelchair Accessible? (Again - A Deeper Dive)
The pool area technically wasn't fully wheelchair accessible. And that's a shame, because the pool with a view was a total knockout! I mean, seriously, think of it: sipping a cocktail, watching the sunset over the Tuscan hills? Pure bliss. However, getting to the pool involves gravel, a slight incline… You get the picture. (See "Access" above.)
The Wi-Fi Saga (Because, Let’s Be Honest, We All Need It)
The Wi-Fi was… well, let's call it temperamental. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms? Yes! Did it always work? Sometimes. Think of it as a charming Italian character: unreliable but ultimately lovable. The strong points of the wifi are its free access and you can get access in public areas as well. Just don't rely on it to stream your favourite show. I think there were some Internet [LAN] access in some rooms, but I never really used them.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax (Spa, Pools, and the Pursuit of Chill)
Okay, the spa. This is where things got interesting. The spa/sauna and steamroom called to me. I had a truly good experience after the body scrub! It was like the Tuscan sun had decided to personally exfoliate my worries away. I also got a massage: absolute heaven. I'd go back for that alone. The pool with view (mentioned already – swoons) was the star, especially for an afternoon swim. Getting a foot bath, too, was a cool experience! They also had a fitness center, but honestly? Exploring the Tuscan countryside on foot (or motorized wheels) was workout enough for me.
Cleanliness and Safety (Because, You Know, The World)
I have to say, they took cleanliness seriously. They had all the anti-viral cleaning products, hot water linen + laundry washing, hand sanitizer everywhere, and the staff were all masked up and following distancing guidelines. Rooms sanitized between stays? Check. Overall, it felt safe. The staff trained in safety protocol were very professional, making me feel at ease.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Food Glorious Food (and Drink!)
The food! Where do I even begin? The breakfast [buffet] was a glorious spread of continental staples, and if you’re into it, there’s an Asian breakfast as well. The A la carte in restaurant was a delight. The poolside bar offered a perfect spot to relax and get a drink. I recommend the espresso martini. Seriously. They had a coffee shop, too, which was a relief when I was dragging myself around looking for caffeine, and even an international cuisine in restaurant. The desserts were fantastic, and the vegetarian restaurant (or, at least, the veggie options) were a major win for me.
Services and Conveniences (The Perks of Being Pampered)
Okay, so they tried. The concierge was helpful for directions and suggestions, the daily housekeeping was efficient, and they had a car park [free of charge] (which is important when you’re driving around Tuscany). There were also facilities for disabled guests, but again, see “Access” above. They had a gift/souvenir shop; which was nice. Even though I didn't use them, they offered services like dry cleaning and laundry service.
For the Kids (Because, You Know, Families)
I didn't travel with kids, but they had babysitting service and promised to be family/child friendly – which seems plausible. There were kids facilities but ask ahead about the specifics.
The Rooms: My Fortress of Bliss (and Occasional Frustration)
My room (I’ll call it “the Villa” for my purposes) was… well, it was comfortable. The air conditioning was a lifesaver. I was very grateful for the blackout curtains! The coffee/tea maker was a welcome morning companion. There was an in-room safe box. I can’t speak for the quality of the interconnecting room(s) available, but the desk was a useful place to work from. There was a private bathroom, a bathtub, a shower. The slippers were a luxurious touch, and the wake-up service was reliable.
But… and there’s always a but, right? The internet access – wireless was flaky. And the TV… honestly, I think it had more channels in Italian that I could begin to understand. The mini bar was good. I also think these rooms had non-smoking options; which is a pro.
Getting Around (The Road Less (Wheel) Traveled)
They offered airport transfer, which is always welcome. There was bicycle parking and car park [on-site]. The taxi service was reliable.
Paging the Pessimist!
Alright, time for some brutally honest truths. While the Belvilla had its upsides, it also had a few downsides. Some of the experiences were great, some were… well, not so perfect. It’s not flawless, and it's important to manage your expectations to fully enjoy the experience.
Final Verdict:
Would I recommend the Belvilla in Citta di Castello? Mostly. It's a beautiful place, offering a blend of luxury, relaxation, and an (admittedly) challenging accessibility experience. If you're looking for a base to explore Tuscany, and you can handle a few hiccups, it's well worth considering. Just do your homework, ask the right questions, and pack your sense of humor. And maybe a map to the pool. You'll need it.
Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars (leaning towards 4.5 if they sort out the accessibility!)
Postscript: The trip was worth it, and I still dream of the pizza.
Escape to Paradise: Stunning Bibinje Villa w/ Garden!Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this Belvilla trip to Casa Lauretta in Citta di Castello? It’s going to be less “polished travel brochure” and more “reliving my mid-life crisis, one pasta carbonara at a time.” Prepare for the glorious mess.
The "Oh God, I'm Actually Doing This" Itinerary: Casa Lauretta & Beyond! (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Italian Sun) – Pray for Me.
Pre-Trip Anxiety (aka, Packing and Praying I Don't Forget My Passport):
- Week Before: Panic. Double, triple, quadruple check my passport. Google "Italian phrases for 'Where's the bathroom?'" Practice saying "Grazie mille" with varying degrees of sarcasm (because, let's be honest, some people deserve it). Contemplate whether I really need six pairs of shoes. The answer, as always, is yes.
- Two Days Out: Pack. Then unpack. Then repack. Realize I've overpacked, but convince myself it’s fine. Spend an hour staring at my suitcase, filled with clothes I MIGHT need. The sheer weight of potential outfits overwhelms me. I briefly consider just wearing the same thing every day. Abandon that plan. Consider it a victory.
- Day Before: Locate the "emergency chocolate stash." Hide it. Just in case. Print out all the confirmations. Curse the printer. Curse the internet. Briefly consider canceling the whole thing and staying in a blanket fort. But then… Italy. Gotta do it.
Day 1: Arrival. Or, “Getting Lost in Translation (and Traffic)”
- Morning: Arrive at the airport, feeling like a bewildered penguin. Find the international terminal. Breathe. Eventually locate the correct check-in desk. The flight is, thankfully, uneventful. Mostly. I did stare at a baby for a good 20 minutes. Cutest little squish bucket!
- Afternoon: Land in Florence! The air smells of…something. Maybe pizza? Maybe adventure? Either way, I'm in! Grab the rental car. Pray to the driving gods for protection, because, seriously, Italian driving is a contact sport. Successfully navigate the first roundabout! I’m basically a Formula One driver now. (Okay, maybe not.)
- Late Afternoon/Early Evening: Finally, FINALLY, reach Casa Lauretta. It's…charming. That's the official word. My internal monologue is screaming, "YES! BEAUTIFUL! HOME!" The stone walls, the terracotta roof…it's picture-perfect. Except I’m already sweating and smelling slightly of airport despair. The key situation is, fortunately, straightforward - I find the box and code quickly! The place smells like lemon, which is a great start.
Day 2: Citta di Castello – "Museums, Memories, and Maybe a Meltdown Over Lunch"
- Morning: Coffee! The Italian way. Find a tiny café in Citta di Castello. Order a cappuccino–and accidentally spill half of it on myself. So classy. Wander the cobbled streets, get slightly disoriented. But it's okay; the confusion is half the fun. Visit the Museo Palazzo Vitelli alla Cannoniera, hoping to absorb some culture. I feel like I should understand more about art, as it's all Italian.
- Midday: Lunch. Oh, the lunch. I'd read reviews of a certain ristorante that promised "authentic Umbrian cuisine." I find the restaurant, and the outside is beautiful…but the waitstaff are not friendly. I eventually get a table and order the pasta carbonara. It arrives. It's…alright. Not the transcendent experience I'd hoped for. Slight disappointment. But the wine is good, and the people-watching is excellent.
- Afternoon: More wandering. Discover a hidden piazza. Sit in the sunshine. Close my eyes. Actually, it's almost the perfect moment.
- Evening: Cooking class!!! Okay, maybe it's just a local food tour. It involves more pasta and wine, I hope? I'm excited…terrified…hungry.
Day 3: Assisi - "Spiritual Awakening… or Just a Really Steep Hill?"
- Morning: Day trip to Assisi, the city of St. Francis. Feeling mildly hungover, but the prospect of spiritual enlightenment keeps me going. The drive is gorgeous. Rolling hills, cypress trees… Italy, you're killing me.
- Mid-Morning: Arrive in Assisi. The basilica is impressive. I'm not particularly religious, but I can appreciate a good building. Climb the hill to the top, gasping for air. Was this spiritual or a good cardio session? There's a difference?
- Lunch: Another lunch. This time, it's in a little trattoria with a view over the valley. Order the local specialty: truffle pasta. It's amazing. Every single bite is pure bliss. I would've happily licked the plate clean, but I resisted, mostly out of a sense of decorum and the fear of scaring the other diners.
- Afternoon: Wander the catacombs, feeling a little eerie. Maybe I should've skipped the graveyards.
- Evening: Back at Casa Lauretta. Evening drinks! Pasta, wine, and reflecting on all the things I've seen…and eaten.
Day 4: Perugia – "Chocolate, Chaos, and the Pursuit of Perfect Panini."
- Morning: Day trip to Perugia, the chocolate capital of Italy! I'm here for the Baci. (And maybe a bit of the culture, but mostly the Baci). The city is lively and energetic.
- Mid-Morning: Visit the Perugina chocolate factory. Sample everything. Make a mental note to buy at least five kilos of Baci. Possibly eat half the stock. Oops.
- Lunch: Find a tiny paninoteca and order a panini. The owner seems to remember every single person's order…I'm impressed. The panini is perfection. Crispy bread, fresh ingredients…it's a love song in a sandwich.
- Afternoon: Explore the historic center. Get delightfully lost. Admire the views. Consider buying a piece of art, but quickly talk myself out of it.
- Evening: Back at Casa Lauretta. Pizza in the oven!
Day 5: Relaxation & Rediscovering the Art of Doing…Nothing
- Morning: The day is spent exploring the small town that is Citta di Castello and its surrounding beauty spots.
- Lunch: At a tiny trattoria known amongst the locals.
- Afternoon: Relaxing again, this time with a book and a view.
- Evening: Dinner on the terrace. The air is warm, the stars are out. I think I could get used to this.
Day 6: The Perfect Imperfection: The Pasta Carbonara Incident (Extended Edition)
Okay, so maybe I did get a bit obsessed. Pasta Carbonara became this thing. This symbol of… well, of something. Of Italy. Of imperfectly perfect experiences. Of the pursuit of bliss in a single bite.
- Morning: Determined to make the perfect carbonara myself. Consult a dozen different recipes online. Argue with myself about the proper ratio of eggs to cheese. The kitchen at Casa Lauretta is charming, but… well, I'm no chef.
- Midday: The first attempt. Disaster. The eggs scrambled. The pasta stuck together. The guanciale ended up looking like…well, let's just say it wasn't pretty. Sulk.
- Afternoon: Attempt number two. Slightly better. The sauce is better. Still a bit clumpy. Eat it anyway. Resolve to keep trying.
- Evening: Attempt number three. This time, I go wild. A little pepper here, a touch more cheese there…it's…almost perfect. It’s not that restaurant masterpiece I had in mind, but it’s my carbonara. My flawed, beautiful, slightly-too-salty carbonara. Eat it with gusto, and relish the moment. The mess, the effort, and the love that went into that dish…that's what it all means. I'm actually doing it!
Day 7: Departure. Or, "Leaving a Piece of My Heart (And Possibly Some Chocolate Stains) in Italy."
- Morning: Pack. Again. Curse the suitcase that now weighs twice as much as it did on arrival. Spend a solid hour trying to decide whether to leave the slightly-stained (from carbonara, of course) t-shirt behind. Decide to take it. It's a souvenir.
- Midday: Final coffee in Citta di Castello. Stare at the piazza one last time. Promise myself I'll come back.
- Afternoon: Airport chaos. Get through security somehow. Buy a few more Baci.
- Evening: The flight departs. Look out the window. Feel a pang of sadness. And a deep, profound sense of gratitude. Italy, you crazy, glorious mess, you've done it to me again.
Post-Trip:
- Week One: Post photos on social media