Unbelievable Hotel in Hirosaki, Japan: Hyper Hills Will Blow You Away!
Unbelievable Hotel in Hirosaki: Hyper Hills Will Blow You Away…Or Maybe Just Give You a Mild Headache (My Honest Review)
Okay, buckle up, because I just got back from Unbelievable Hotel in Hirosaki, and frankly, my head is still spinning a bit. They call it "Hyper Hills," and, yeah, the experience is definitely hyper. Let's get this review messy and real, because, honestly, that's how I feel right now.
SEO & Metadata (Don't worry, I got you, Google!):
- Keywords: Hirosaki hotel, Unbelievable Hotel, Hyper Hills, Japan travel, Accessible hotels Japan, Spa hotel, Hirosaki accommodation, Family-friendly hotel, Luxury hotel Hirosaki, Japanese hospitality, Onsen hotel, Hirosaki sightseeing, Free Wi-Fi, Wheelchair accessible, Hirosaki restaurants, Spa, Sauna, Swimming pool, Fitness center, Japanese cuisine, Western cuisine, Family-friendly, Pet-friendly (sort of, more on that later), Cleanliness, Safety, Convenience
- Meta Description: Dive into a brutally honest review of Unbelievable Hotel's Hyper Hills in Hirosaki, Japan! We're talking accessibility, amazing views, spa treatments, food, and everything in between. Get ready for a ride – and maybe a headache – as we dissect the good, the bad, and the gloriously confusing.
First Impressions (and the Elevator Saga):
Right from the start, the "Hyper Hills" vibe hits you. It’s… a lot. The lobby is all sleek lines, giant screens, and enough chrome to blind a tourist. And the elevators? Forget it. They're high-tech, super-fast, and the first time I rode one, I swear my ears popped. The number of buttons and symbols was utterly overwhelming. I'm not going to lie, I may have accidentally gone to the basement laundry room looking for the rooftop bar.
Accessibility? (Because, You Know, Real Life):
Okay, let's talk accessibility. HUGE points for Unbelievable here. The website claims they're accessible, and honestly, they mostly deliver. Wheelchair accessible is a big check – ramps, elevators, and wide hallways are plentiful. I saw a few facilities for disabled guests signage and generally, they seemed to have thought through the practicalities. However (and there’s always a however), maneuvering in the spa area could have been tricky if you're in a chair. The pathways were a bit narrow, and it was a bit of a maze, like someone lost their way. Overall, though, this gets a thumbs up.
Inside the Room: My Fortress of Solitude (and Free Wi-Fi!):
Thankfully, my room was a haven from the "hyper." The Air conditioning blasted cold air, a godsend after a day of sightseeing. And the Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! – a total lifesaver. I spent a good chunk of my stay streaming stuff, posting photos, and generally avoiding human contact, which, let’s be honest, is the best part of a vacation. The Internet access – wireless was perfect, and I could even connect my laptop to the Internet - LAN for a slightly faster download.
The Room Details (a mixed bag):
- The Good: Blackout curtains – essential for battling jet lag. Complimentary tea and free bottled water - always a nice touch. A desk and laptop workspace were great for catching up on emails (sigh). And the separate shower/bathtub, plus the bathrobes and slippers, made it feel extra luxurious. They even have a reading light next to the bed!
- The Not-So-Good: The sheets were a bit scratchy (maybe extra long bed with some luxurious sheets?) and there's no way to tell if the rooms being non-smoking is enforced. The toiletries were basic, nothing special.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Culinary Rollercoaster:
Alright, where do I even begin? The food at Unbelievable Hotel is… well, it's an experience.
- Breakfast (Buffet, Buffet, Buffet!) The breakfast buffet was a monster, a glorious spread of Asian breakfast staples like miso soup, and some Western fare like the (a bit sadly) watery scrambled eggs. I mean, they had a Vegetarian restaurant, too. Breakfasts are always a good time, but here, it was a bit of an overload, leaving me slightly sluggish.
- Restaurants (with Views!): The main restaurant boasted stunning views of the surrounding mountains, which was great. The International cuisine in restaurant was pretty decent, although the service was a little… let's say "formal". The Asian cuisine in restaurant was divine.
- Poolside Bar & Room Service (24-Hour!) – This is where the "unbelievable" started to feel a bit like "over the top." The Poolside bar was a bit pricey but offered great cocktails. And the 24-hour room service was a lifesaver after a long day of exploring. Late-night snacks in bed? Yes, please. But be warned, they do charge extra for the privilege.
Spa, Sauna, and Relaxation: Seeking Zen… Or Just a Nap:
Now, the spa is the true highlight, if you ask me. I mean, who doesn't love Body scrub, Body wrap, and a good Massage?
- The Good: The Pool with view was breathtaking – you could relax in the warm water while appreciating the view. The Sauna and the Steamroom melted away the stresses of modern life. The Spa/sauna setup was fantastic. (I was disappointed there was no Foot bath, though).
- The Not-So-Good: The spa area was a bit crowded at peak times, and finding a quiet spot to truly unwind felt challenging.
Cleanliness and Safety: Feeling Safe-ish:
I’m a paranoid traveler, so cleanliness and safety are huge for me.
- The Good: They had all the buzzwords sorted: Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer everywhere, and Staff trained in safety protocol. I saw evidence of Anti-viral cleaning products, and even Rooms sanitized between stays.
- The "Maybe…": They offered Room sanitization opt-out available, which is good, but I’m always suspicious when they ask if you want your room cleaned. I'm also not sure if they offered any Shared stationery removed.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax (Beyond the Spa):
Beyond the spa, there was plenty to keep me busy (or give me more options to take a nap!):
- Fitness center: I tried to use it (I did. For five minutes.) because of the Gym/fitness.
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: Looked amazing, but I was too busy napping.
- Shrine: There's a little one, which was beautiful to visit for a quiet moment of reflection.
- Things to avoid: The Family/child friendly area was the source of all the noise, so I ran away. I wasn’t feeling the Kids meal either.
Services and Conveniences: Hits and Misses:
Unbelievable Hotel offers an impressive array of services to cater to guests’ needs:
- The Good: They had the basics like Daily housekeeping and an Elevator. Contactless check-in/out and Cashless payment service – super convenient. The Concierge was helpful in providing information and arranging tours.
- The "Hmm…": They had a convenience store, but it was basically a vending machine. The luggage storage was great, but I felt like I was missing something when checking my luggage.
Getting Around: Easy if You're Not Afraid of a Taxi:
- The Good: Plenty of parking, and if the car park [free of charge] is full, there's also the Car park [on-site].
- The "Meh": Taxi service. And the airport transfer was the best and fastest way to travel.
Final Verdict: Worth It? (Maybe. Bring Earplugs.)
Unbelievable Hotel's Hyper Hills is an experience. It's luxurious, it's packed with amenities, and it's definitely memorable. It can also be overwhelming, slightly exhausting at times (all that "hyper"!), and a little… much.
- Overall Rating: 4 stars.
- Would I go back?: Possibly. If I could snag a discount and come armed with industrial-strength earplugs and a serious nap schedule, then yeah, it's a solid choice for a luxury stay.
- The Bottom Line: Go for the spa, the views, and the incredibly convenient Wi-Fi. Be prepared for a sensory overload, and embrace the chaos. You might just have a ridiculously good time. And if you're looking for a quiet, zen-like experience? Well, you might need to look elsewhere.
Okay, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your sanitized, brochure-perfect itinerary. This is my shot at surviving Hirosaki and the alleged "Hotel Hyper Hills," and trust me, the name alone already has me on edge. Here we go…or, well, I go, dragging my suitcase full of questionable outfits and even more questionable life choices.
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Apple Overcompensation
- 14:00 - Arrival at Aomori Airport (AOJ). Okay, first hurdle: the airport itself. It's…small. Like, "I could probably walk its perimeter in under five minutes" small. Found luggage without a problem. Hallelujah. The first emotional reaction? Relief! Followed swiftly by a gnawing anxiety about the actual journey to the hotel. This airport shuttle is my only hope.
- 15:00 - Shuttle to Hirosaki Station. The pre-booked shuttle. Praying it's not one of those rickety old vans that smell like grandma's mothballs. I swear, if I have to listen to a Japanese pop music compilation on repeat for an hour and a half, I might actually lose my mind.
- 16:30 - Check-in at Hotel Hyper Hills. (Pray for me). Okay, here we are. The website promised "panoramic views." I'm mentally preparing for either a stunning vista of Mount Iwaki or the back of a concrete wall. Let's hope they have decent Wi-Fi. My Instagram followers demand updates.
- 17:00 - Failed Attempt to find Dinner: Okay, so. I'm starving, but the "recommendations" the hotel provided are about as helpful as a chocolate teapot. Apparently, Hirosaki is obsessed with apples. Everything is apple-flavored. Apple pie, apple juice, apple ramen (yes, really). I can already feel my glucose levels spiking. Wandered around the area, defeated, and ended up at a FamilyMart…which is my saving grace and took like 15 minutes to get my hands on some food.
- 18:30 - Evening - The Room Debacle. The "panoramic views"? Turns out, they were… of a different concrete wall. Classic. The room itself is…functional. Clean, at least. But the lighting is fluorescent and makes my skin look vaguely greenish. On the upside, I found a vending machine on the floor. Gotta be prepared.
Day 2: History, Apples (Again), and a Moment of Pure, Unadulterated Joy
- 9:00 - Breakfast. (Assuming I can navigate the hotel's breakfast offering.) The hotel breakfast is a battleground. Attempted a Japanese-style breakfast, got confused by the little dishes of pickled things and ended up eating way too much rice. I now have a rice baby, but I think I might make it.
- 10:00 - Hirosaki Castle: A Glorious Mess of Cherry Blossoms (Maybe). Okay, this is the supposed highlight. The castle itself is beautiful. But. I'm here at the wrong time of year. No cherry blossoms. Just…bare trees. Which were still pretty majestic when you really got to it. The moat. It was really pretty.
- 12:00 - Lunch - The Apple Obsession Continues. Faced with yet another apple-based lunch. This time, I opted for the apple pie. It was actually really good. I mean, REALLY good. Like, "maybe I'm starting to see the apple thing" good.
- 13:30 - Samurai District - Wandering and Wondering. Wandered through the Samurai District. The houses. They felt really old. Quiet, pretty. I was struck by how… peacefull. I think the gardens are worth a visit if you're a fan of that sort of thing.
- 15:00 - The Apple Park: Redemption. Yes, finally. I went to the apple park, and spent 10 minutes watching people and trees, and then it hit me. The view. The trees. The air. I sat on a bench and just breathed. Probably one of the most peaceful moments of my life.
- 17:00 - The Hotel Gym…or Lack Thereof. The hotel gym might exist! The gym is just a room, that's been converted. There are a couple of machines, but otherwise it's just a place to sweat.
- 18:00 - Dinner - Okay, Finally, Something Non-Apple. Found a tiny ramen shop. It was a hole in the wall. Best ramen I've ever had.
- 19:00 - Emotional Breakdown (Minor). A short-lived moment of existential angst in my tiny, fluorescent-lit room. I miss my cat. And good coffee. But the ramen… the ramen saved the day.
- 20:00 - Evening (Unwinding). After a long day, I go back to my hotel room to read a book, and feel thankful for the good food and good company.
Day 3: The Long Road Home (and a Final Apple-Related Encounter)
- 9:00 - Hotel Breakfast (Attempt 2). Successfully navigated the breakfast buffet without embarrassing myself too badly. Managed to avoid the pickled things this time. Small victories.
- 10:00 - Last-Minute Souvenir Hunt. Hit the local shops for last-minute souvenirs. Ended up buying way too much apple-flavored everything. Gift shopping is my weakness.
- 11:00 - The Hotel Review Game: Left my review with a smile. The kind of smile that says “Yeah, you were okay.”
- 12:00 - Farewell Lunch - The Ultimate Apple Swan Song. One last apple pie. One last apple juice. Embrace the madness.
- 12:30 - Shuttle to Aomori Airport. Leaving. I think I was happier than I had arrived. The airport. The airport again.
- 14:00 - Flight Home. Exhausted and apple-fied, but with a newfound appreciation for hidden ramen shops and the quirky, slightly imperfect beauty of Hirosaki and Hotel Hyper Hills. I survived. And that, my friends, is a victory in itself.
Okay, Seriously, Is Hyper Hills as Insane as it Sounds?
Dude, YES. And no. The brochure promises "immersive hyper-reality." I thought, "Yeah, yeah, hotels say that all the time." But Hyper Hills… it’s less "immersive" and more like being smacked in the face with a kaleidoscope of awesome. Think Willy Wonka's hotel, but with way fewer Oompa Loompas (thank God, I'm not good with singing midgets). They *do* have this thing where you can order room service via a voice-activated... thingy. At 3 AM, I swear I was deliriously ordering a whole dang ramen shop to my room. It didn't come, thank god, but still. It's...an experience.
The 'hyper' part? Well, let's just say the lobby is more a portal to another dimension. And the rooms! Don't even get me started. I got the "Forest Suite" and the holographic trees… they were beautiful. But I also kept bumping into them. It was embarrassing. And at one point, I swear I saw a little animated squirrel *staring* at me. I may have had too much sake. Or not enough sleep. Or both.
What's the Deal with the "Self-Cleaning" Rooms? Sounds too Good to be True.
This is where the honeymoon ended, people. The "self-cleaning" is, shall we say, *optimistic*. They have these UV sanitizing robots. The kind that slowly roam around at night. The theory is, they zap the germs away. The *reality* is, my suitcase still ended up with a suspiciously sticky patch on the bottom. And one night, I woke up at 3 am to one of these things just... cruising in circles. It looked like some crazed, glowing Roomba on a mission to judge my life choices. Creepy! So, are the rooms clean? Probably. Do they inspire complete trust? Ehhhhh. Maybe bring some Lysol wipes, just in case.
Okay, But What About the Food? Is it as Weird as the Rest of the Hotel?
Alright, the food? It's... complicated. The main restaurant, "The Quantum Kitchen," feels like a space station cafeteria. I mean, I *adore* space station cafeterias in theory–in practice? I'm a basic bitch who likes yakitori. They *do* have some amazing Hokkaido seafood. The Uni? Melted in my mouth. The presentation, however, sometimes borders on performance art. Plates with fog. Meringue that seemed to defy gravity. I think they were trying a dish where they used the fog to create a perfect, slightly transparent sphere of flavour, but I was to drunk to focus. The chef looked like a mad scientist, which, honestly, added to the charm. The ramen, though. They have a ramen *bar* – thank God. It's amazing. The best. The whole hotel experience *hinges* on the after-hours ramen.
Are the Staff Helpful? Or Just as Eccentric as the Hotel Itself?
You know, this is where Hyper Hills surprised me. The staff? They're *lovely*. Yes, they wear futuristic uniforms. Yes, they might occasionally smile inappropriately. But they're genuinely helpful. I lost my phone (again). They not only found it, but they also upgraded me to a better room because... reasons. I think they felt sorry for me. Or they knew I'd be back for the ramen. Either way, A+ for service. I also asked for help because I got locked out of my room wearing only my underwear, but they weren't as helpful then. Maybe they judged my life choices. Fair enough.
The "Hyper-Reality" aspect, what exactly is that? It's mostly a gimmick, right?
Okay, fine: the hyper-reality. Look, it's *not* a perfect execution. You're not suddenly living in the Matrix. The holograms, the interactive screens... they're cool. They're fun. And they *absolutely* made me feel like I was on a planet that was just a *little* unhinged. But at times it's also a bit…clunky. The voice-activated thingy for room service got confused with my sleep talking about "mochi". The interactive paintings in the lobby occasionally glitched out, so their smiles turned a little evil-looking. Its a little too... much. But the core essence? It's a feeling. A mood. You're *meant* to feel like something strange and wonderful is happening. And it worked on me, even though I had to turn some things off. And that, my friends, is enough. It's designed to blow you away. And it will!
Anything I should DEFINITELY avoid while I'm there?
Avoid the "Virtual Reality Spa" if you're prone to motion sickness. Seriously. I spent 20 minutes pretending to be a dolphin and then projectile vomited *everywhere.* The staff were very polite, but I basically destroyed one of their most expensive VR setups. Also, avoid the 3am karaoke. You'll think you're a rockstar, but you're probably just screaming into a microphone in a language you don't fully understand, and the locals will probably laugh at you. Oh, and don't try all the ramen flavors at once. You'll explode (figuratively, hopefully).
Would you go back? Be honest!
Honestly? Yes. Despite the sticky suitcase, the questionable robots, the dolphin-induced nausea, and the questionable karaoke choices, Hyper Hills got under my skin. It's bizarre, chaotic, imperfect, and completely unforgettable. It’s a place that wants to *surprise* you. It's a place that *succeeds* in surprising you. Will I go back? Absolutely. As soon as I can afford the therapy I'll be needing after this trip. And I'm bringing my own Lysol wipes. And I'm *definitely* going to try to hit up that ramen bar again. Because that ramen was *divine*. So, yeah. Go. Just... go. And prepare yourself for the ride. It's a wild one.