Escape to Paradise: Sauna, Garden, BBQ, & Fireplace in Waimes, Belgium!
Escape to Paradise: Waimes – A Belated Blast (and a Few Bummers)
Okay, buckle up, because I'm about to spill the metaphorical (and maybe literal, if I'm honest) tea on my recent escapade to "Escape to Paradise" in Waimes, Belgium. Let me preface this by saying… the name is definitely ambitious. But did it deliver paradise? Well, that depends on your definition of paradise. It had moments, glorious, sauna-sweating, BBQ-blissful moments. But like any good love story, it wasn't all smooth sailing. More like a slightly bumpy, but ultimately rewarding, road trip.
Accessibility & That 'A' Word:
Right off the bat, let's address the elephant in the room: Accessibility. Truthfully, I didn't need a wheelchair, but I did have a friend with limited mobility. This is where things get… mixed. The website boasts "Facilities for disabled guests," but the devil's in the details, folks. While there's an elevator, the layout felt a little… complicated. Paths weren't always smooth, and some areas – like the sauna entrance, surprisingly – had a step or two. Definitely call ahead and get the nitty-gritty on accessibility if this is a major concern. I’d hate for your "escape" to become an obstacle course.
Cleanliness & Safety - The Sanitizer Shuffle:
On the plus side, I have to hand it to them: Cleanliness was clearly a priority. Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, and staff trained in safety protocol. I saw them wiping down everything. Seriously, I half expected them to sanitize the air itself. They even had hand sanitizer dispensers EVERYWHERE. Made me feel… well, safe. Maybe too safe. Almost like I was living in a sanitization bubble. Even the rooms were sanitized between stays, and they offered, thankfully, room sanitization opt-out available (I needed a little less Sterile Steve, if you know what I mean). They provided individually-wrapped food options to reduce contamination risks. I also saw a first aid kit and what i suppose to be a doctor/nurse on call.
Things to Do - Sauna Shenanigans and Garden Games:
This is where "Escape to Paradise" really shines. The Sauna! Oh, sweet, steamy bliss. It was a proper, wood-paneled, sweat-inducing experience. And the swimming pool [outdoor] was the perfect way to cool off afterward (though the view – while nice – wasn't quite “pool with a view” spectacular. More like, "pool with a pretty forest"). The Spa/Sauna, Spa, and steamroom were a real standout. It was perfect for a few rounds of cleansing and relaxation, with some of my friends. Forget about the world for a while! And do not forget the foot bath, because that will change your life.
The garden! It was lovely. Big, sprawling, with plenty of space to wander and forget about your emails. We attempted a game of… well, something that resembled badminton (we’re not exactly athletes). It was a complete disaster, but hilarious.
And, of course, the BBQ. I'm a sucker for a good BBQ. The provided grills were excellent, but the real MVP was the atmosphere. We cooked, we laughed, we probably ate way too much meat (I’m not proud of it, but it's true). Those moments? Those were pure paradise.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - The Foodie Factor
Okay, let's talk food. The restaurants were decent, but the a la carte in restaurant was more "blah" than "bam." The Asian cuisine in restaurant was an intriguing option, a welcomed shift. They offered buffet in restaurant, which was a nice option as well. I wish there were more vegetarian options, I do have a few vegetarian friends. The presence of a poolside bar was excellent. The coffee was good; well, service, was pretty good. I was happy with the bottle of water left in my room.
The breakfast [buffet] was… typical. The Western breakfast was fine, but I have a feeling there was a missed opportunity for some Belgian culinary magic. I mean, hello, Belgium! Waffles? Chocolate? Where were they?! The coffee shop was excellent, though, and the desserts in restaurant saved the day (and my sanity).
Services and Conveniences - Little Perks, Big Impact.
I appreciate the little things. And Escape to Paradise had some little things. Daily housekeeping was efficient. There's luggage storage, which is always a lifesaver. The concierge was friendly and helpful. Wi-Fi [free] worked, though I admit, I spent more time in the sauna than on my laptop. The offer of airport transfer and taxi service was also great, and the car park [free of charge] was the icing on the cake. They even offered dry cleaning and laundry service, which might be useful when your clothes get wet. Having a convenience store was a relief. The elevator was a blessing. They also have invoice provided if you are a business person.
The Rooms - Cozy (ish) Comfort
The rooms? Okay, here's where things get a little… subjective. They do their job. The rooms were clean, the air conditioning worked, and the bed was comfortable (though, honestly, the extra long bed was a little overkill). The blackout curtains were a godsend (perfect for sleeping off a sauna-induced stupor).
I adored the slippers they provided. That was definitely a nice touch. I adored the bathrobes. The complimentary tea and free bottled water were also appreciated. The Internet access [Wi-Fi free] was fast, too, and the refrigerator kept my drinks cold.
However, the décor was… a little dated. Let’s just say, it wasn’t exactly cutting-edge. But it's clean, it's comfy. Just don’t expect any major design inspiration. Some rooms have seating area, which is nice. The alarm clock was useful. They have desk, which is good. The hair dryer was also appreciated. They had a private bathroom.
Getting Around - The Logistics
They have a car park [on-site] which is awesome. But if you're relying on public transport, Waimes isn't exactly the easiest place to get to. Definitely pre-plan your journey. The car park [on-site] was free, which is always a plus. They did offer taxi service, useful for getting around.
For the Kids - Family Fun?
I didn’t exactly travel with kids. But they do, seemingly, cater to families, with the babysitting service, and the option of kids meal. There is the family/child friendly option, but this seemed more geared towards couples and groups of friends than families.
My Verdict - Paradise Found… Eventually
So, did "Escape to Paradise" live up to its name? Not entirely. It was a bit like a box of chocolates: some were absolute delights, others… not so much.
The sauna and BBQ experience was glorious. So was the cleanliness and sense of security. The rooms? They did the job. Accessibility could be better. The food? Decent, but nothing to write home about.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay. It was a great place to unwind, sweat, and disconnect (at least from work emails). If you're looking for a relaxing getaway with a few friends, with easy access to sauna, you will have a wonderful time. Just manage your expectations, embrace the messiness, and be prepared to enjoy the little pockets of paradise that it does offer. And book that sauna time now. You won't regret it.
Escape to Paradise: Stunning Beachfront Apartment in Boltenhagen, Germany!Okay, buckle up, buttercups! We're heading to Waimes, Belgium, to that Sauna Garden Terrace BBQ Fireplace haven. Prepare for a glorious, messy, and hopefully hilarious adventure. This itinerary? Consider it a suggestion… a very loose suggestion.
Waimes, Belgium: Sauna-Soaked Serendipity (and the inevitable BBQ mishaps)
Day 1: Arrival and the Sauna Sizzle (Maybe with a Side of Panic)
14:00 - Arrival and the "Where's the Key?" Debacle: Okay, so the GPS app, bless its little digital heart, got us close to the place. But "close" in rural Belgium apparently means "wandering down a muddy lane for twenty minutes." Finally, we found it! The Sauna Garden Terrace BBQ Fireplace place! Except…the blasted key. We'd been sent the wrong code. Cue the initial panic set. We needed to call the owner, who spoke barely a word of English, which was a huge contrast to the fluent English-speaking booking. After half an hour of frantically gesticulating, using Google Translate (which translated "key" as "key, important" - helpful!), and nearly losing our sanity, the key! Sweet victory! A glass of wine was in order.
15:00 - Inventory Check & The Anticipation: Inside, it was rustic charm overload. Exposed beams, a fireplace begging to be lit, a terrace just screaming for BBQ action. First, the grocery run. Off to the local shop to purchase all the essentials. Meat that was locally sourced, enough buns to build a small bridge, a mountain of Belgian fries, and a few local beers…just in case.
17:00 - Sauna Initiation (and the Sweat-Induced Existential Crisis): The sauna! This was the whole point of the trip, wasn't it? We fired it up, followed the instructions (mostly), and cautiously entered. The heat. Oh, the heat! This started okay, but then I found myself spiraling into a mini-existential crisis. Is this what it's all about? Sitting in a wooden box, sweating? But then, as the sweat poured off me, I realized…it kinda was. Pure, unadulterated peace. Followed by a quick dip in the cold plunge pool. Brrr!
19:00 - BBQ Attempt Number One (and the "Charcoal Calamity"): Time for the BBQ! We are experienced BBQ-ers. The reality set, the charcoal had a mind of its own. Smoke everywhere, the burgers were somehow both raw and burnt. We laughed. And we ate. Mostly the side dishes. It was a start. And the beers were going down easy.
21:00 - Fireside Chats (and Questionable Life Choices): As the evening chill settled in, the fireplace beckoned. The fire was magical. We discussed everything: the meaning of life, the merits of various cheese, and the questionable life choices that led us to this moment.
Day 2: Hiking, History, and the Pursuit of the Perfect Fry
09:00 - Hangover Cure (and the Art of the Perfect Coffee): Coffee. Strong coffee. Followed by a slow, deliberate recovery.
10:00 - The Great Hike (and the "Wrong Turn" Adventure): We’d planned a hike. The map looked straightforward. But then… BAM! The "scenic route" took a turn and led us completely off track. We were knee-deep in mud, but the views were spectacular! Plus, we found a field of wild raspberries. Worth it!
13:00 - Lunch at a Local Gem (and the Quest for the Fabled Belgian Fry): Back to civilization! We found a small, family-run bistro. I ordered the fries, of course. We’d spent half the morning searching for the perfect fry. This place was good, not perfect. But the mayonnaise? To die for.
15:00 - Historical Immersion (and the "Too Much Information" Museum Guide): We visited a local historical museum. It may have been an hour or two of information overload. It had an amazing old car collection. The museum guide, however, possessed a knowledge of Belgian history that bordered on encyclopedic. It was fascinating, but by the end, I felt like I'd absorbed the entire history of the Benelux countries.
17:00 - Sauna Round Two (and the "Zen Master" Phase): Back to the sauna. This time, I was a Zen Master, embracing the heat, the silence, the sheer…relaxation. I think I may have actually fallen asleep.
19:00 - BBQ Attempt Number Two (The Redemption): This time, we were armed with more patience, a charcoal chimney, and the secret BBQ tips gleaned from YouTube. The burgers were a triumph! The sausages sang! The skies opened up (a bit). We ate like kings.
21:00 - Fireplace Fellowship (and the "Deep Thoughts" Revival): The fireplace pulled us back again. We spent hours in deep conversation, laughing, and sharing stories.
Day 3: Farewell, Fries, and the Fickle Belgian Weather
09:00 - Brunch and Box Packing A slow brunch. A last goodbye to that insane fridge. After that, the packing ritual. Stuffing belongings into suitcases, hoping we hadn’t forgotten anything important.
11:00 - Last Walk (and the "Fievel" moment): Another short, picturesque walk, just to soak up a little more of Waimes before reality returned.
13:00 - Departure (and the "We’ll Be Back" Promise): Driving back towards the city. We'll be back, Waimes! Because there's no such thing as too much sauna, or too many fries.
Imperfections and Quirks:
- The Weather: Belgian weather is…unpredictable. We experienced sunshine, drizzle, and what can only be described as a light drizzle that turned into a full-blown downpour. Bring layers!
- The Language Barrier: Learning a few basic French phrases would have helped. Google Translate was our best friend.
- The Logistics: We struggled with the BBQ. The key. The location. It's all part of the journey.
- The Food Coma: Be prepared for a post-sauna, post-BBQ food coma of epic proportions. Embrace it!
Emotional Reactions:
- Joy: Pure, unadulterated joy at being away from work, at laughing with friends, and just being.
- Frustration: At the charcoal, at the language barrier, at the logistical hiccups.
- Peace: In the sauna, in the silence of the countryside.
- Gratitude: For the chance to experience something so different.
Final Thoughts:
Waimes, you were a blast. Messy, imperfect, hilarious, and utterly unforgettable. Would I go back? In a heartbeat. The Sauna Garden Terrace BBQ Fireplace place? Perfection for someone who loves a little chaos. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I need another fry.
Escape to Paradise: Stunning Garden Home in Sint-Martens-Voeren, Belgium!Escape to Paradise: Sauna, Garden, BBQ, & Fireplace - Waimes, Belgium - The REAL Deal FAQs (and My Brain's Ramblings)
Okay, so what *is* "Escape to Paradise" actually like? Is it, you know, *paradise*?
Alright, let's be real. Paradise? Not *quite*. More like... a seriously good weekend getaway, with all the right ingredients. Think: a cozy house in the Belgian Ardennes (gorgeous!), a kick-ass sauna (more on that later), a garden begging for a BBQ (we obliged!), and a fireplace that beckons you to drink ALL the wine and tell ALL the stories. It's a promise of relaxation and... well, the freedom to be a total slob for a couple of days. And honestly? After the week I'd had, that sounded heavenly. And most of it *was*.
It's not pristine, mind you. There's a lived-in feel, which I actually prefer. Like a friend's comfy cabin. And that, my friends, is FAR more appealing than some sterile hotel room. I may even go as a solo traveler next time.
But paradise? Nah. Paradise has perfect weather, no mosquito-related drama (again, more later), and unlimited chocolate. This place? Has incredibly delicious sausage, though.
The Sauna! Tell me everything! Was it, like, a spiritual experience?
The sauna, oh sweet, glorious sauna. Okay, *now* we're talking. Forget spiritual experience, it was a physical and mental reset button! Seriously, I walked in feeling like a tightly wound spring, and walked out... melted. Like a cheesy, gloriously gooey, delicious cheese.
It was a real Finnish sauna, which meant you could pour water over the hot stones for a proper *löyly* (that's the steam!). The wood smell was incredible. Honestly, for a solid hour, I just sat, and sweated and... thought about absolutely nothing. Which, if you're me, is a rare and beautiful thing. I think I even drifted off a few times! My brain gave up the ghost of the constant anxiety I carry. I'm not going to say everything was perfect; it's a sauna, you're going to be hot and a bit sweaty. But the contrast of the heat and the cold plunge was divine.
Okay, the *only* slight downside (and I'm being picky here) was the initial bit of faffing with the wood stove to get it going. And I definitely felt silly doing it for the first time.
Is the garden as amazing as the photos suggest? And can I get eaten by bugs?
The garden, yes, it's pretty darn amazing. Rolling green hills, charming little nooks and crannies, an inviting BBQ area (important!), and enough space to actually *breathe*. It truly does feel…escape-y. You feel like you're a million miles from anywhere. Except, you know, you're not in the middle of nowhere, and the benefits of civilization are still close at hand.
And… the bugs. Ah, yes, the bugs. Look, it’s the Ardennes. You’re surrounded by nature. So, yes, you'll encounter bugs. I learned this the hard way. We had a grand BBQ planned, and the mosquitoes... were relentless. They came in waves! I'm not proud to admit it, but I spent a solid portion of the evening flapping my arms and muttering under my breath. I was prepared for being eaten up. We used ALL the citronella candles, bug spray...it was basically War of the Worlds against the Ardennes mosquito army. And yes, I got eaten.
So, bring the bug spray. Seriously. And maybe a full suit of armor.
How's the BBQ situation? Good for a novice?
The BBQ setup is great! Simple, straightforward, and easy to use. Even for someone like me, who's about as skilled on a grill as I am at, say, brain surgery. We managed to cook some perfectly respectable sausages (again, important!), burgers, and veggie skewers. Success!
The only thing I'd recommend? Bring your own condiments. They *do* provide some basic stuff, but I'm a ketchup fiend, and you can't trust a place to have the right kind of ketchup.
And the fireplace? Is it all cozy and romantic?
The fireplace is pure, unadulterated magic. Especially on a chilly evening. We spent hours huddled around it, drinking wine, laughing, and telling stories. The crackling of the fire, the smell of burning wood... it creates this instant sense of warmth and comfort. It's the heart of the house.
Okay, pro-tip: make sure you know how to build a fire BEFORE you arrive. We had a *moment* of panic. The logs were damp, the kindling was… well, let's just say the first attempt was a smoky disaster. But, after some fiddling and a few choice words, we got it going. And then, it was heavenly.
Is it family-friendly? Or more suited to a romantic getaway?
I'd say it leans towards the family-friendly end, with a good dash of romance thrown in. The space is ideal for kids to run around, the BBQ is perfect for a family meal, and the sauna's not exactly a kid-unfriendly experience (though, check with the hosts about usage and age restrictions). But it's also intimate enough for a couple's getaway – it just depends what you’re after. You can certainly make it romantic. There's nothing to stop you from lighting candles, making a dreamy feast and sipping wine by the fireplace while the kids sleep upstairs, safe and happy.
What's the area around Waimes like? Any must-see attractions?
The Ardennes is beautiful! Waimes itself is a charming little town, and you're surrounded by gorgeous natural beauty. Hiking trails, forests, lakes, picturesque villages... there's plenty to explore. We didn't do tons of sightseeing because, honestly, we were pretty content just chilling at the house. But, I heard the 'High Fens' (Hautes Fagnes) are stunning, and there are a few castles nearby if you're into that sort of thing.
Pro Tip: if you’re a chocolate lover, do your research. Belgium is famous for it. (I, of course, did not. I failed.)